A/C compressor elimanation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C compressor elimanation

Does anybody know of a bracket/idler pulley to install in place of the a/c compressor on a Jeep 4.0? I did a search on Pirate,but not much help.

http://www.cincyoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4038
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Thanks for the reply,but.......I don't want to add another alternator,just do away with the a/c compressor.

Comment

Get a smaller belt and play with the routing. Use a cut belt for measuring to get the length right.
        sigpic

Comment

Youdont realize how nice onboard air is until you have it. Why not try that?
          Last edited by itbrokeagain; 10-12-2009, 09:21 AM.
          91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
            Youdont realize how ne onboard air is until you have it. Why not try that?
            I made up a OBA system and it is quite nice to have it you have some things sitting around. Heck i uses it to blow up our tow-behinds for the boat when I tow the boat with my Jeep. there are many uses for it.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/my-oba-529670/
            88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

there is a pully that came on some MJs that replaces the AC pully.
              I know I had one with it a couple years ago, but may be rare to find in a junkyard.

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas,on board air can be a great add on.Several guys I wheel with have it on their rigs.Seems like they use the older York style compressor for oil reasons.For now I think I will go with Truggy's idea and reroute the belt and keep everything turning the right direction.I was just hoping to find a direct bolt in idler and use the same belt.Surely not all 4.0 jeeps had a/c.Thanks again for all the replies.

Comment

You could always make a mount for your Alt. where the AC comp is and then your alternator will be farther out of the water and dirt. but I am not sure if an idler pulley there or up top will be easier.
                  88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

a/c delete

Found a thread on Pirate pertaining to moving the alternator to the a/c location,and another one pertaining to a/c delete.Both threads are in the Jeep/Cherokee section on page 17.The threads also have good pics.Sounds like a good idea to move the alternator up and away from the water and dirt.

Comment

yes, it is a good idea, or else get a front skid plate, or you'll be replacing the alt every couple trips out when you get in the deep stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
                        yes, it is a good idea, or else get a front skid plate, or you'll be replacing the alt every couple trips out when you get in the deep stuff.
                        Or at least climbing under the rig to smack the alt with a hammer, and knock all the mud out of it...

Been there, done that, got the mud in my eye to prove it...

Robert
                        DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                        Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

I understand the alternator mount bracket from a 2.5 (Four banger) will bolt up in place of the a/c mount bracket on the 4.0. Then you just move your existing alt to the top bracket. Might shoot Commanchedude a Pm he done this mod a few years ago..

Good Luck

Nick
                          Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
                          Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Working...
                          X