tire size for rockwells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire size for rockwells

What tire size can I get away with in order to run a rockwell top loader axle with decent ground clearance. I am looking at 39.5 irocs fitting under a 1995 toyota landcruiser. Too large of a tire will make it difficult to run on the street, and too small of a tire will have the diffs in the way. Just wondering what anyone has seen or used with success. Also lookin for beadlock supplier for rims. With the gear ratio at 6.72 the highway speeds may be a problem and 44'' tires may help. Just kickin some ideas around and thinkin about sellin the truggy.
    sigpic

From no experience what-so-ever and based entirely on what I have read on Pirate4x4 over the years. A 42" tire is really pushing the drag factor, remember that sight is more dedicated to rock crawling. You really don't risk much dragging your pumpkins in this ohio/indian/kentucky mud in terms of breakage. Traction on the other hand is never great when your not touching the ground.

This probably doesn't help though.

Paul

Comment

42 at least, preferably 44". get high clearance diff skids, and you gain the same clearance a Dana44 has. the mohawk is where it's at.

Comment

What about wheels? Thought about using stock rims centers and hummer rim outers if possible. Not sure if fab time is worth it though.
        sigpic

Comment

not worth time on the stock centers, imo, although i have seen it done by more than one person.

centers can be purchased for less that $40 each... in any design you would like... but then again, your stock centers are free, and work well with the axles, that's for sure.

Comment

Nice link to find what you need and tire review too.

http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...ting-tires.htm
            Thanks,
            67fastback

-------------
            84 Honda cr60r - for sale
            87 Honda 200sx - for sale
            67 Mustang fastback - under restoration MCA #63430
            04 Silverado 2500 crew cab
            87 sami - "SPLAT"
            87 sami tin top - "Blue Fire"
            88 sami - "Squirt"

My New Video Channel -http://www.youtube.com/PhillbillyProduction

My Video Channel - http://www.youtube.com/justworkn

Comment

i would run rockwells with 38s and have a really good "tire size to axle strength" ratio. kinda like running 33s on 1 tons

if you give the bottom a mohawk shave,i dont think that ground clearance is any worse than a 60 or 14 bolt.
              scotty

85 grand wagoneer(whats left of it)
              77 scout II truggy
              84 chevy "home made crewcab"

Delightfully Tacky,Yet Unrefined

Comment

At 55MPH, My 502 motor is running about 3k with 46" tires, Rockwell axles and
                a TH400 tranny. It drives amazingly well on the highway.

Comment

Originally posted by 502EFI View Post
                  At 55MPH, My 502 motor is running about 3k with 46" tires, Rockwell axles and
                  a TH400 tranny. It drives amazingly well on the highway.
                  I saw your rig twice in front of your garage today while I went out to the farm and drove the deuce and a half around. That rig is tough. Let me know when you are taking it wheeling 502 efi. Are you going to bring it to the core offroad show in august?
                  sigpic

Comment

could probably get all the centers laser cut for ya
                    if you had all the diminsions
                    For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                      ............... Are you going to bring it to the core offroad show in august?
                      where is this?
                      For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
                        where is this?
                        Under the general section on a sticky. (first post)
                        sigpic

Comment

I will put that on the calender. Thanks for the compliment.

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 502EFI View Post
                            I will put that on the calender. Thanks for the compliment.

Chris

is this shnelle aka go4lo? did you actually get the 97 done or the 99?

here's some 41's with the rocks mohawked, butch was pretty happy with the clearance on em, he's got 42" TSL's on the way. the local vocational school cuts the centers for our wheels for free, just have to supply them with the steel, of course, that will end when all of butch's son's freinds graduate.
                            these are 41" michelins with home made 20" double beadlocks

i know 2 others that have run 39.5" boggers and were very happy with em. as was mentioned earlier, with the type of wheeling we have around here, not as much emphasis on the clearance under the pigs. these were all built for running slade and harlan primarily too.

wish i had a pic of nick's 49" michelins on 5 tons, now that thing has some clearance!

greg
                            zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Working...
                            X