Valve cover gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve cover gasket

I am working on my mustang with the 4.6 modular motor and the gasket on the valve cover made of rubber seems to have grown. It is made to be reused, but when I went to reinstall it in the groove in the valve cover it had grown and would not fit. I put it in the freezer and that helped a little but not enough. I paid good $ for this reusable rubber gasket for the valve cover so that when at the track I would be able to do inspections and reinstall it. Anybody have any suggestions? :confused:
    sigpic

sounds like it came in contact with substances it shouldn't have...

brake fluid, diesel, gasoline, etc... these all will soften and swell rubber. As far as getting it back to shape i have no idea, but make sure you have no foreign substances getting to it...

Comment

I wonder if a chemical exists that will bring it back to shape? Had a methanol problem late last year, but I had thought that it was not that bad.
      sigpic

Comment

i dont believe anything will take it back to shape... once the rubber compound has been compromised, i think it's done.

Comment

if the freezer didn't do it... I think you'll have to buy another. :o
          brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
          Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

If it was used and then you took it out of the valve cover, then I see how it grew. Those gaskets are made to swell after they get oil on them. This is how they make a good seal. This is also why you dont take these gaskets out of the valve cover. You will need a new one.
            91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
              If it was used and then you took it out of the valve cover, then I see how it grew. Those gaskets are made to swell after they get oil on them. This is how they make a good seal. This is also why you dont take these gaskets out of the valve cover. You will need a new one.
              As stated in an earlier thread, the gasket is designed supposedly to be reused. It shot out of the valve covers groove like a jack in the box.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X