slip yoke dilema

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slip yoke dilema

I am trying to figure out how to adapt a rear driveshaft to a dana 60 to a NP241. (damn near the same as a 231) To say the shaft will be at an angle and short is an understatement. Doing it the expensive way is easy. Anyone know of a strong way to shorten the tailshaft and to get a double cardon shaft to bolt to the yoke from the case? I am using 1410 joints and am thinking that I may be able to machine the cases outer slip yoke, weld on a round disc, machine that true and put on a bolt pattern to match the driveshafts flange. and turn it into a flange to bolt up the driveshaft. To shorten the case I am thinking will require buying the tailshaft. Thinking of the hack and tap deal I have seen before. Any ideas? :confused:
    sigpic

You could make your own hack n tap for it. But would be alot easier, stronger and time saving to just get a good SYE kit for it.

http://www.jbconversions.com/pages/p...c_std_sye.html

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

I know for the 231 they make a short SYE kit. It gives you 3 more inches over the standard kit.
      91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

just comp-cut it and lengthen the wheel base

Comment

I talked to him and used your jeep as a reference about that sarge but he is in a rush to play with it.
          sigpic

Comment

We comp cut mine and had everything except the fuel pump and drive shaft done in one night. It aint rocket science. order a an RCI cell and lengthen your own DS and your golden . or skip the cell and just put the fuel tank in the rear in place of the seat . Tell him to take his purse off and get cutting

Comment

what exactly are you working on? if your 241 is driver drop and bolted to a 23 spline tranny,just swap it out for a jeep 208,wich is allready fixed yoke and same low range(2.61).

also if angles are a prollem you are prolly better off staying with single joints. a double cardon joint doesnt allow for alot of angle without taking it apart and alot of clearancing

if its not street driven,just turn the rear pinion up as much as you can to lessen the angle at the t case.at road speeds you may have some vibes from the angles being different,but if its not a daily driver its prolly not that big a deal.
              scotty

85 grand wagoneer(whats left of it)
              77 scout II truggy
              84 chevy "home made crewcab"

Delightfully Tacky,Yet Unrefined

Comment

Originally posted by scotty85 View Post
                what exactly are you working on? if your 241 is driver drop and bolted to a 23 spline tranny,just swap it out for a jeep 208,wich is allready fixed yoke and same low range(2.61).

also if angles are a prollem you are prolly better off staying with single joints. a double cardon joint doesnt allow for alot of angle without taking it apart and alot of clearancing

if its not street driven,just turn the rear pinion up as much as you can to lessen the angle at the t case.at road speeds you may have some vibes from the angles being different,but if its not a daily driver its prolly not that big a deal.

I have one of these NP208's if you want to go that route?

Comment

He likes the 241 for strength. (stronger than a 231) Is this 208 equivalent? It is a dd and offroad. He did a spring under and it is a low rider for now with 60's and front four link. Not my choice. :p
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                    He likes the 241 for strength. (stronger than a 231) Is this 208 equivalent? It is a dd and offroad. He did a spring under and it is a low rider for now with 60's and front four link. Not my choice. :p

208 is very good t-case well proven for years in Chevys etc.. They came on all the military CUCV one tons also.

Comment

Originally posted by JET455 View Post
                      208 is very good t-case well proven for years in Chevys etc.. They came on all the military CUCV one tons also.

yes,208 is a good case. i personally would run a fixed yoke 208 over a slip yoke 241 any day in a trail rig.

i will be using a 208 behind the sm465 in my truck,whenever i get around to putting that in ;)
                      scotty

85 grand wagoneer(whats left of it)
                      77 scout II truggy
                      84 chevy "home made crewcab"

Delightfully Tacky,Yet Unrefined

Comment

FYI 1st $75 bucks buys this NP208 T-case and can use it for parts to turn a Chevy 208 into a SYE rear out put.
                        Last edited by JET455; 07-02-2007, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X