Noob needs assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob needs assistance

(i sent this to my local off road shop, P.O.R. in Alexandria KY, but it was returned to me, so I turn to you guys...)

Greetings! I have a strange question resulting from the predicament I'm finding myself in: I drive a VW Golf that I've decided to make my backup car as it breaks often, and parts are expensive. I have acquired the use of my mother's pick up (a 99 Mazda B2500 SX 5spd.....jealous?!). The Mazda Ranger has been pretty reliable and parts are way cheaper. I'd like to make the thing a bit safer in bad weather and maybe make it worthy of some very light trail riding. I'm not trying to climb any rocks or anything because it's 2wd and has a very weak (although reliable, at least compared to my VW) motor.

I'm new to trucks, clearly. What can I do to this thing with a very limited budget? Is it even WORTH the money and effort? Can I get a locking differential and would that help much with rain/snow/dirt driving? I was thinking about getting some sort of locking differential, maybe throw some bigger wheels and tires on it (it has 14's! yikes!) and just keep it running for the time being.

Whaddya think?

Thanks for your time!

if its for a daily driver, and for snow/ice driving, forget the locker. it will hurt you more than help in the slick roads. your static (non-driving) wheel on an open diff is what helps your rear end track down the road straight.

get some bigger wheels, and put some AT's or nice snow tires on it.

Comment

Depending on your ability and time you could convert it to 4wd. Putting a locker in the rear will help a bit but will also give it some potentially nasty onroad driving characteristics. The rear axle may be an 8.8 which is strong. If you lived near a desert it would make a killer prerunner truck for baja running. You may want to look at trading it for a samurai or other 4x4. Good luck! (how was roy carl from por?) edit:CW
      Last edited by carwash; 08-21-2007, 03:23 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

Let's not bring that up. Let's help the guy instead. It's not worth it to convert to a 4x4. For winter use, dump some bags of sand or salt in the back and a good set of AT tires.

For light duty trails. Start looking for a decent used 4x4, sami, jeep, ranger, blazer whatever gets you excited. If your new to offroading and new to mechanics start doing your own vehicle repairs and and while riding passanger seat bi@%h jump into the mix everytime you see someone needing their bearing greased.

Don't get in the way but grabbing the jack and observing what's going on will help you alot.

Comment

I didn't actually TALK to anyone form POR, they are just the only place that I know of.

I thought about a 4x4 conversion, but what would that entail? Is it doable to source 4x4 Ranger or B series parts and swap it out? Can I stick with the 2.5L for the sake of simplicity and fuel economy? I mean, it's DAMN slow but it has been reliable.

I feel like I'd like to do some light offroading for sure, but again, I need this as a daily driver too. I'd LOVE to trade it in for a Tacoma (or other Yota) or Nissan but they are EXPENSIVE! And my Mazduh only has 76k miles... I see that Cherokees are reasonably priced, but there is the fuel economy issue (and I can't find a 5 sp. anywhere!), and I'd like to keep a pickup.

Help!

Comment

Hey teejay,

I can offer no technical advice, as I'm learning as well. Just wanted to say welcome to the board. This is a great group of guys and I know they'll help you out.
            I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

The swap can be done. I was hoping that it had the 4 liter in it. The 2.5 puts some limitations on it.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm starting to think I should just trade it in or sell it, and get a reliable 4x4. Again, I'd like a pickup but I do tend to gravitate toward the usually more expensive Japanese offerings, and I can't put much more into a new purchase than what I get out of the Mazduh (KBB says $3,600). I've seen Cherokees with less than 100k miles for less than $5000, so that seems like a good idea, and I hear reliabliity isn't too bad (and that you can get about 20 mpg if you're good...that's a little less than what i get now!). Again, it's been hard to find one with a clutch though. I just don't understand how old Tacomas with 200k + on the clock can still fetch prices of more than 5k!

Any other suggestions for a solid, reliable 4x4 with decent (~20mpg) gas mileage (and hopefully a 5 spd)?

Thanx for the help guys!

Comment

forget the tacoma and look at an early to mid nineties toyota. lots of 5 speeds to be had in that range. you can often find them in very good condition... in fact, look at the 4 runner for sale from fabricator in the 4sale section.

lots of cherokees can be had for your price range as well, just look around and take your time, you will find what you want.

Comment

You will not find a Cherokee that gets 20 MPG ...... 2.5 or 4.0 , 5 speeds are out there , just hard to find .

I'll second Carwash and advise you to find a Yota p/u .... they are pretty useless as a working truck but, will get you to and from work and on the trail great.

Comment

I'd LOVE a Yota p/u, but most for less than $5k seem to have a TON of miles, a bunch of rust, an automatic, and are creeping up on being 20 years old. I guess it's just hard for me to grasp when my truck is in GOOD shape with low miles and is still worth less than a beat up Yota. I guess 4wd drive really helps with the resale value huh? I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Comment

Start saving and buy a beater to have fun with. Light trails means you can drive it to and from the trail. Find a friend to help make sure it's mechanicly sound redo the breaks and then pound on it until something gives.

Comment

Originally posted by teejay View Post
                          I'd LOVE a Yota p/u, but most for less than $5k seem to have a TON of miles, a bunch of rust, an automatic, and are creeping up on being 20 years old.
                          that's cause 'yota's last longer and are more reliable than a ford. the amount of money you put in that to convert it into a trail rig would be better spent buying a used sammi and going from there. you can get one for about the price of a set of 33's. ;)
                          I understand the Jeep thing.......that's why i drive a Toyota.

'91 Toyota truck(3.0 to 3.4 swapped)
                          "F@#k vacuum lines my truck sucks enough!"

Comment

Toyotas in your opinion may last longer than fords, but I would rather be seen in a ford.
                            sigpic

Comment

You can get a good running Yota for $1500 or so, even less if you don't care what it looks like. Then you can take it back in the woods and beat the piss out of it and drive it back home. That's the beauty of Toyotas!
                              88 4Runner, 350 V8 swap in progress

http://staff.4x4wire.com/adamf

Comment

Working...
                              X