What is this axle worth ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this axle worth ??

There is a guy that has a GM 14bolt with 4.11 gears and a Gov-Lok in it,He wants $100 for it but I don't know what it is worth..I am trying to find a 14Bolt and a D60 but I am wanting 5.38 or so gears but I know finding a set with that low gear ratio is kinda hard to find..What is this axle worth and is a gov-lok any good ?? Thanks
    Miamisburg,Ohio. Cell# 937-361-7267
    90XJ Limited 4x4,4.0 Auto,NP242
    Rustys 4.5" lift D30/D35,3.55 gears
    Denman Farmhand Tractor Tires 33x9.50x16
    Work in progress
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0XJ%20Limited/

1986 Chevy M1008 4x4 CUCV 5/4 Ton Truck
    350ci,400turbo,D60 Front,14Bolt w/Detroit Rear
    4.56 Gears, Desert Tan C.A.R.C. Paint.
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0M1008%20CUCV/

govt. lock is so so. Spool it. 100.00 is good as long as the condition is ok.
    sigpic

Comment

Cool,I will probably go ahead and get it then..I won't be doing anything with it untill I find a 60 for the front anyway..Thanks :)
      Work in progress

Comment

the gov lock is junk, and i'd be surprised if it still works. If you want to put a locker in it, you will need to find a new carrier. the detroit for the 14b is only the locker guts, fits in the stock carrier.

4.11 is a very common gear in the 14 bolt, but the real bummer is that the carrier break on the 14b is at 4.11, meaning if you want to go super lower in gearing, you will also need a new carrier, or find some "thick" gears aftermarket, which arent cheap or readily available, but do exist.

So, your best option would be to do a full spool. Yukon makes them, but also sometimes has a long backorder of them. It is a pretty piece of metal, Kargomaster has a pic floating around of his somewhere.

but, either way, the 14b is worth 100 bucks. I have seen some in the for sale section here in the past as low as $50. you might contact Jet455 to see if he has anything for you.

Good luck.

Comment

Details on the Gov-Lock:

Used by General Motors in 73 & newer trucks that came with an option locking / limited slip differential. It was used in 7.5", 7.625", 8.5", 8.6", 8.875" 12 bolt truck, 9.5", 10.5", and now in the new 11.5" differentials. The smaller designs are fairly weak and the 8.5" and 12 bolt truck designs are especially weak. The 9.5" and 10.5" 14T units are fairly strong and will hold up well to towing and moderate abuse. The Gov-Lock is designed to act as an open differential during normal driving with no force being applied to clutches. This fact that no force is applied to the clutches keeps the clutches from chattering during normal every day driving. When either wheel slips and spins approximately 100 rpm faster than the other a governor assembly senses the difference in speed and activates a ramp system. The ramp system causes the clutches to engage and transfer power to the wheel with traction. One other feature of the Gov-Lock is that it will not engage at vehicle speed above 30 mph. This no lock-up feature keeps the vehicle more stable at higher speeds where both wheels spinning could cause an inexperienced driver to spin out or slide off of the road. This is a great design in theory and works as designed in a stock vehicle that is not abused. The problem is that most of us modify our trucks and many of us abuse them. When this unit is asked to deliver under extreme conditions it tends to self-destruct. The force generated by the ramp system that is used to lock-up the clutches works well, except that same force has to be contained by the case and the case is not always up to the job. (factory)

Comment

My mental diff. chart

3:73/14ff-$75
            4:10/14FF-$100
            4:56/14FF-$150

I subtract $50 if it's got a Gov-bomb as they are absolute shat!

Comment

Fred get with me if you need one

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by JET455 View Post
                Fred get with me if you need one
                I'll probably give ya a call tomorrow..
                Work in progress

Comment

ok

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

$100 is what I would consider a reasonable price for a 14-bolt full floater (FF)in good shape.

However the Gov-lock is a so-so limited slip, works okay in a daily driver if in good shape but not very good off-road. The issue is that a Gov-lock greatly limits locker choices and would require a new carrier for either a Detroit or mini-spool, it can be welded but welding an open diff is much easier.

Contrary to what Carwash said about the gearing, "thick" lower gear sets are very common for the 14-bolt FF, in fact it's usually much easier and cheaper to find "thick" aftermarket gear sets that fit the 4.10-down carrier versus finding them to fit the 4.56-up carrier. The reason is that the 4.10-down carrier was much more common.

Good luck finding one with 5.38 gears as this would have to be an axle somebody swapped in aftermarket gears, and 5.38's (the lowest available) have only been available for the 14-bolt FF for maybe the last couple of years. 5.13's have been available for a long time, but again I think these would be an aftermarket gear set that was swapped in. 4.56's were the lowest "commonly" available gear set from the factory, don't know of anything lower available from the factory unless it was some sort of special application.

Comment

Working...
                    X