Hummer rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hummer rims

Please tell me what I need to do to change some military hummer rims to a 4.25 back space.

Thanks

Cut the centers out and order new stronger custom centers. Carwash has a couple connections. I made my own but it cost me probably as much to do it myself as it would have to order em. From checking out your rig I would say that you will be able to cut em out and recenter up the new ones with no problem!
    sigpic

Comment

Ok, thanks. I will probably cut the centers out on a lathe with a face groove tool. I will just wait for carwah to post up.
      I do have some friends who have a water jet machine, if the centers are made from flat stock, They could cut them out pretty quickly. However, it would probably be less expensive to just buy some premade.

Comment

I am torching one of the 1950's deuce and a half (not the one you saw) today and was wondering if you knew anyone who would want a good cab, glass, gas motor, trans, t case, steering etc...
        sigpic

Comment

well, i can tell you who NOT to get your centers from, and i'm sure that Jeff can back me up, as he was the one that had to take about XXXX machine hours to get them even usuable... (i say XXXX cuz i don't even know how long it took, but forever i think.)

Copperhead Fab seemed really cheap, until i got the first set of centers, and at that point, i realized they were VERY cheap, not made the best. The accuracy of the cuts were insanely awful, and the lug holes were just blown out with a plasma. The gap between the hub and the hub hole in the center had more gap than is even acceptable, and when finishing the lug holes, would leave an unacceptable amount of material next to the lugs.

Here are some shots of the first centers he cut for me.

So, due to the awful plasma cutting and ill measured pattern, i demanded he cut me a new set. I contacted Jeff to see if he could do machine work on the new set when they arrive. I requested that he cut minimal holes where the lugs go so that jeff could machine them how they should be, and to cut the center for the hub at right below the diameter of my hubs so that jeff could machine them.

They came, and the cuts all sucked again, but jeff made them pretty.

so, what i'm saying is, dont get them from copperhead. Stazworks had nice pressed centers, as does usa6x6. If you want flat, make them yourself, or have them made locally. if you know someone with a waterjet, it should be a no brainer.

Comment

I agree, that is a hack job. Is that 3/8 plate ?

The water jet boys (guys I used to work with and now have a Booming business !!) charge me about $100 bucks an hour and I am their friend !!! I think their cheapest machine cost 1/4 million dollars though. They can easily hold .01-.015 on 3/8 and it looks machined, heck they held that on the 3/4" steering arms I had made for my rockwells. However, I will contact Stazworks, I think the pressed centers will look better and maybe stronger with less weight. John did a real good job on my beadlocks for the M715.

Truggy,
            I cant think of anyone right off who could use the Deuce parts. Dont scrap them though, will find someone.
            Last edited by 502EFI; 09-09-2007, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X