Shocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks

The last time I went wheeling (Haspin) I broke a rear shock mount. I found out later when i got home that it didn't brake from hitting something but rather the shock was too tall and acting as a "bump stop". When I came off a ledge and the rear leafs compressed the shock buckled and broke the mount. The issue i now have is that all four shocks are too tall, and they all are acting as "bump stops". I know i need to fix this but my question is how? Should I go with shorter shocks and loose some downward flex, or build some hoops and raise the top shock mount and use the same size shocks that i have now? Any input would be great. Thanks :)

What I am kind of thinking at the moment is building hoops in front and putting shorter shocks in the rear.
    '84 Cherokee body welded to an '86 Blazer frame , fuel injected 350, 700r4 trans, np208 t-case, 44 front and a welded 14 bolt in the rear on 35" boggers, radiator in the rear, and a full cage

Take the shocks off. Flex the rear fully, and measure your fully extended length. Is it shorter than the shock you have now? If so, then you could go with a shorter shock. If not, then I would suggest reworking your shock mount setup by adding a hoop or inverting the mounts.
    88 4Runner, 350 V8 swap in progress

http://staff.4x4wire.com/adamf

Comment

What do you mean by "inverting the mounts"?
      '84 Cherokee body welded to an '86 Blazer frame , fuel injected 350, 700r4 trans, np208 t-case, 44 front and a welded 14 bolt in the rear on 35" boggers, radiator in the rear, and a full cage

Comment

Originally posted by Hybrid View Post
        What do you mean by "inverting the mounts"?
        Like I did on my truck. Allows you to run longer shocks without having to run big tall hoops.

http://home.4x4wire.com/adamf/88/ima...shockmount.jpg

Comment

That might be doable man, I'm just not sure how much room you have down there, all I remember is the fuel pump
          I believe this will be our finest hour

Comment

Repositioning the shocks at an angle underneath may allow you to use the existing shocks and achieve the travel that you are looking for.
            sigpic

Comment

i like mine both to the back. sorry the for the poser pic.

I understand the Jeep thing.......that's why i drive a Toyota.

'91 Toyota truck(3.0 to 3.4 swapped)
              "F@#k vacuum lines my truck sucks enough!"

Comment

Inverting the shocks sounds like a sweet idea for the rear! I think it could work, i will have to check to see what i have in the way. It looks like I will still need to build hoops for the front though.

Comment

How did you mount the base of the shock to the axle? Did you just weld a bolt head to the axle?

Comment

How did you mount the base of the shock to the axle? Did you just weld a bolt head to the axle?
                    2 plates with a hole through them both for a bolt to travel between them and the shock? Pretty simple
                    sigpic

Comment

Get with Carwash , he can hook you up with some very good shock mounting tabs for very little $$ . easier to buy them pre-fab .

Comment

That would be great!

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                          2 plates with a hole through them both for a bolt to travel between them and the shock? Pretty simple

BINGO!

Comment

. It looks like I will still need to build hoops for the front though.

Cheap and easy way I did it. Go to your Ford dealer and buy some Ford Superduty shock mounts, part number E5TZ-18183-A They cost around $25 for the pair. Weld them directly to the frame. Kind of hard to see them in these pics, but here ya go.... (thats a 14" travel pro comp shock, front tire rubbing in the wheel well, still got travel to go. I set the shock with 7" shock exposed at ride height))

Found a good pic...

Last edited by 4RunnerAdam; 09-20-2007, 04:50 AM.

Comment

You got a body lift on that adam?
                              i usually have to cut a hole in the
                              inner wheel well
                              For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

Working...
                              X