My Kawasaki Teryx4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kawasaki Teryx4

After thinking about for awhile and a couple of my friends getting into SxS's I decided to go over to the dark side.

I wanted at least 4 seats so the kids could come along (and I get more free passes from the wife to go play if I take the kids) so started doing some research. Just hated how long most 4 seat models so enter the Kawasaki Teryx4. 800 V-Twin, power steering, 26" tires, locking front diff, and adjustable shocks are all standard. The 2 and 4 seat versions are on the same wheelbase so it's not longer than my crewcab pickup.

The 2016 models were coming out so there were factory rebates on '15s and dealers were offering good prices.

Doing some cruising around my dad's place to get some break-in miles completed. That's his Ranger 570 midsize...while I'm not a Polaris fan that thing is pretty peppy and rides nice.

Not much in the way of challenging wheeling around there but we did get to check out the beaver dam.

Last edited by blazerbrad; 01-03-2018, 12:39 PM.

Took it down to my buddy's place outside Zanesville for the first real trailride.

This is only a couple miles from his house. He lives on a gravel road so home base is his driveway and you can be climbing serious hills literally in his backyard. He has a '14 Yamaha Viking with 28" Swamplites and a winch. I'm jealous because he can go out and run serious trails after work for a couple of hours anytime.

The Viking and Teryx would be considered in the same class, though the Teryx 800 V-Twin has substantially more power than the 700 single in the Yamaha. I was going up hills on the first try that either took him multiple full throttle assaults or he couldn't climb at all, even with the larger and more aggressive tires.
    Last edited by blazerbrad; 01-03-2018, 12:40 PM.

Comment

I've been wanting to go ride around t
      With roy.
      www.offroadohio.com
      www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
      www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
      www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

Haven't done very good updating my build thread so will try to catch up with the progress over the last year.

Number on priority was a winch. I didn't want it mounted low where you have to dig through the mud to get to it, and refused to pay the money for a winch bumper. Built a custom bracket into the stock bumper with four extra mounting points to the frame.

Installed a Superwinch Terra45. Buddy has one with a very rough life and has never let him down, and found a good deal on one. Just barely clears the grill and still lets the hood open up.
        Last edited by blazerbrad; 01-03-2018, 12:42 PM.

Comment

A few 40+mph runs down the road during cooler days told me I need a windshield. Did some research and decided on a SuperATV full flip version. The top can be run full closed, cracked open a few inches, or flips all the way open. I can remove the top portion in a couple minutes also for tight trails. So far I have been pleased with this setup and the gas struts hold it open with no flopping. You can open and close it from the drivers seat without stopping.

*picture from the website as I can't recover this one from photobucket*

Last edited by blazerbrad; 01-03-2018, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Few more smaller things.

Tusk soft rear window....pretty cheap ($60ish) compared to most things and impressed with the quality. If you run a front window you really need something on the back or it sucks dust into the cab. Just straps around the roll cage with Velcro. Typically fold it down for trailering but forgot during one trip and it survived a 2 hour trip at 70 mph.

Bought a poly truck box at TSC and bolted it in the bed. It's offset to the side so it leaves a perfect spot for a cooler. You can also see the taillight guards....need a real rear bumper but had already cracked the plastic hence the guards.

And a Harbor Freight shackle mount for the rear....hate it when somebody gets stuck and there are no tow points........

Last edited by blazerbrad; 01-03-2018, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Next was a 2" lift kit. Pretty simple kit that consists of brackets that raise the lower shock brackets up. Would of made these myself but didn't have any time before a trip, and they are pretty cheap.

[IMG][/IMG]

Lift kits on these actually make a big difference in overall ground clearance since it raises the entire bottom off the ground, unlike a truck or Jeep in which it doesn't give any clearance under the axles. This made a noticeable difference on technical trails.
              After the Rush trip I adjusted the shocks down to decrease the preload. Ended up with about 1" of lift. It does give it a softer ride but did notice more issues with bottoming out after lowering it back down.

Also installed 2" wheel spacers all the way around which is very common. This helps stability and keeps the body away from trees and roots some.

Comment

Most recent was a tire upgrade. Found a set of SuperATV Intimidator 28x10-14 tires on 14x7 STI beadlocks for less than half the cost of new and within a hour from me.

Compared to the factory 26x9-12 fronts at same air pressure and no weight on them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3154_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	72454

You can feel them at low speeds on the concrete but should grip pretty good. Gained about 2" of ground clearance with the new tires at the same psi, mainly because the original tires had quite a big of squish under the weight of the machine.

Name:	IMG_3157.jpg
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	72453

You can also see the home-made fender guards I made front and rear.

Name:	IMG_3167.jpg
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	72452
                Last edited by 93 Krawler; 01-02-2018, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Looking good. Did u lose much pep and performance with the bigger tires?
                  my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
                    Looking good. Did u lose much pep and performance with the bigger tires?
                    Really not much of a chance to get a good feel for it yet. Along the back edge of our yard I did a couple full throttle launches and it didn't feel drastically different than before. Hooked pretty good on dry grass but going back and looking at it you can see the tires were spinning for about as far as they did with the stock tires (I know, real scientific test....).

Comment

Saw Kevin had updated his RZR build so thought I better update mine also.......not nearly as exciting though. Not sure what happened to my previous pictures.

Went to a new park called Tecumseh Trails over Memorial Day weekend. This is out around the Hocking Hills and Wayne National Forest area. It was an okay 1,000 acre park for SxS and ATV's. Pretty sloppy.

Teryx doing what it does the best and that is towtruck. On our first trail we ran across this Artic Cat Wildcat Sport. The trails were real sloppy and these guys were hotrodding around and tagged a tree. Major carnage. Pulled him out because between the mud and hills he couldn't make it.

Last edited by blazerbrad; 01-03-2018, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Hmmm, looks like pictures are not showing up in my posts. The one I tried above is right from this site.

Comment

You and roy going to bring them out to the old painted rock and ride july 8th?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                          www.offroadohio.com

Comment

Originally posted by offroadohio View Post
                            You and roy going to bring them out to the old painted rock and ride july 8th?

I always heard that place was pretty cool..but it closed before I ever got a chance to go.

Comment

Well it was cool for back in the day bit compared to other places weve all gone over the years it is strange riding it now ans thinking how "badass" we all thought we were then.

Its pretty well unnaintaimed now so some trails are blocked by downed trees and such but its still fun on sxs

Im taking the offroad mower which and the sxs. As intold roy you two are welcome to come

www.offroadohio.com

Comment

Working...
                              X