My Kawasaki Teryx4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by offroadohio View Post
    You and roy going to bring them out to the old painted rock and ride july 8th?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    Won't be there as I've got a trip planned for Windrock later that month with a group of Teryx's.

I think I was there with Roy many, many years ago.

Comment

Installed the Sgroi Innovations Diff lock speed limit bypass kit last night.
      http://sgroiinnovations.com/index.ph...&product_id=66
      Kawasaki felt it was necessary to put a 15 mph speed limiter on when you lock the front diff. On greasy climbs that require momentum and wheel speed it just doesn't cut it as it will start bouncing off the limiter as soon as you put your foot into it. This kit allows you to switch to a mode that bypasses the speed limiter.

Comment

Couple more additions. After doing some night riding at Rush I needed some more lights. Going straight wasn't a problem but couldn't see out to the sides, like when making a sharp turn. Vendor had a deal on some nice A-pillar mounts and small LED cubes. These are angled slightly out to light up the sides.

Than a little later mounted up the same type of lights facing the back. Again angled out towards the side.

No pictures right now but the Teryx is pre-wired with a harness that gives power when in reverse. I added 4 of the little Eagle eye lights on the back as reverse lights.

Also mounted up a 6 position fuse block set up to only be powered when the key is on along with 4 place rocker switch panel.

Comment

Did a little snow-wheelin' on Christmas day while up at my dad's place. It is mostly flat farm ground and usually just good for some cruising around. They didn't get a lot of snow but the wind made some deep drifts. Got the Teryx stuck a couple times. Last time my brother-in-law was driving and tried blast through a 3' deep drift.....going downhill at a creek crossing. Literally could not see the front 28" tall tire. No trees around so hooked the winch to a Ranger midsize and it just dragged the Ranger around. Finally hooked up the snatch strap and gave it a few good tugs.

Here is the aftermath, which left a huge mess in my garage.

Comment

A little bit of fabrication for the ol' Teryx, but not nearly as intense to all of the ground up buggy builds going on.

Been wanting a rear bumper for quite while. These come with nothing at all on the back so even bumping into a tree causes damage. Kevin bent me up some 1.75" 0.090 DOM.

Also made some tree kickers. Same material as the bumper. Most people only have these turned up on the back, but I did the same to the front. Seemed to hit the body a lot right behind the front tires so went ahead and did this. Not 100% done in the pictures as I am cutting the ends of the tube at an angle and welding on end caps.

Comment

A few more updates on the ol' Teryx. The biggest complaint I had with the machine was the ride quality, which was caused by a combination of stiff shocks and limited wheel travel. Finally bit the bullet and bought a set of aftermarket shocks. The new shocks are longer than stock allowing 25% more wheel travel and allow me to remove the lift kit I had installed. They also offer much plusher travel with progressive rate front springs, dual rate rears, and softer shock valving.

Haven't been able to do a good shake down ride yet because everything around my house is a swamp and don't want to tear the yard or field up, but from a short ride around it has gone from feeling every small bump to being very smooth.

Comment

Next step up was tires. I had been casually looking at tires and wanting a size bigger eventually when these popped up for sale for a good price. These are 30x10-14 Pro Armor Crawler XG's (same tires that Kevin has). They were 90% tread and picked them up for just over half of the retail price.

Didn't really hate my current tires which were 28x10-14 SuperATV Intimidators (which I had also bought used) as they worked really good in loose or muddy conditions, but weren't real great on the rocks or hard pack. They are also very heavy. While I'm going to a taller tire hopefully some, or all, of the power loss is offset by the decreased weight as the Crawlers are 6 lbs. per tire lighter.

Here are the tires next to each other both mounted with 15 psi. The Crawlers measured 2 1/4" taller.

Clearance wise I need to do some work to get them to fit. The previous 28's would rub slightly on the passenger side at full lock and flexed out. The new 30's rub at full lock sitting in the shop. Some more preload adjustment of the shocks and dropping the pressure down to the 10 psi range should help for now, but am planning on offset high clearance a-arms next.

Comment

Nice! Now you can go up all the hard stuff that Kevin tries!

Are you going to the Badlands trip?

If not, I can't wait to see how it performs out at Rush!

Comment

Yep, you have to go to the badlands and try them out. [emoji106] plus i wont be the only one on a sxs. [emoji848]

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't think I will be able to get away on that weekend for the Badlands. Also not sure I would have the Teryx completely ready either. Got the 30's mounted up last night and they rub pretty bad as it currently sits. I was planning on adding a little preload to the shocks to raise it up and need to drop the tires back down the normal 10 psi range (the tires do balloon some at higher pressures) which will help, but was planning on getting offset high clearance a-arms.

Comment

Eh it won't hurt anything if it rubs lol. Come out have a good time!

Comment

http://www.cincyoffroad.com/gallery/...1/img_6211.jpg

Made some more preload adjustments on the shocks to raise the height some more. Really happy with how it is turning out so far, but really need a good shake down run....have a little bit of room to run it around the house but don't want to tear up the yard or the sod field behind me with it being so wet.

Comment

Looks good! Good run would be the Badlands

Great job Brad!

Comment

What he said ^^^^^^^

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk

Comment

It actually has some flex now! It also feels more stable when turning at high speeds now, which I didn't expect with the ride being softer and having more flex.

Trust me, I would love to go this weekend but just can't get away.

Comment

Working...
                                X