Transmission Won't Shift Out of First Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Won't Shift Out of First Gear

I've got a 95 Wrangler with a 4.0L and auto tranny. I went through a fairly large mud hole the other day and now the tranny won't shift out of first when you put it in the forward gears. It's not slipping at all, just won't shift out of first gear. All the other gears work fine. Someone told me to remove the transmission control module, but I'm fairly sure there isn't one on it. I'm open to any and all suggestions. I changed the fluid and filter yesterday with hopes that would help and it didn't do anything.

Also, can someone recommend a good transmission shop in the Dayton area?

You need a rebuild, unfortunately this happens a lot with these trans in water; seen it happen at least twice in person. Will see what a buddy would charge to rebuild it for you.

Comment

Do you mean it won't shift out of first when taking off in drive, or something else. Does it do manual second and drive as well as first, or not.
      91 Ranger ext cab, 60, 14 bolt, 4:88's, 39.5's, doubler, lot's of character

Comment

It doesn't matter what gear you're in going forward, it will not shift out of first gear. All other gears are tight and work fine. Tranny is not slipping at all, just won't shift out of first in drive or second.

Comment

My Ram done that and I was told it went into limpout mode. I unhooked the battery and the issue solved itself. Don't know if that is your issue but it's worth a shot.
          1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB
          3/4 axles, 39.5 IROKS, HYDRO assist

Comment

got my buggy together with 3800 stall, rev. man. v-body and tci race rebuild and it only has reverse and 3rd! so it in floor apart tryn figure it out, so i can bring it down pull steve n bubba up upper staircase
            SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Originally posted by twiztedzuki View Post
              got my buggy together with 3800 stall, rev. man. v-body and tci race rebuild and it only has reverse and 3rd! so it in floor apart tryn figure it out, so i can bring it down pull steve n bubba up upper staircase
              Not to hijack this thread, but let me know when you do your shakedown run.

Comment

It sounds to me like a stuck valve in the valvebody, which can be removed and repaired while in the vehicle, or a problem in the governor circuit. The governor is on the tailshaft, which requires removal of the t-case and tailhousing.

Comment

Originally posted by Redriverranger View Post
                  Not to hijack this thread, but let me know when you do your shakedown run.
                  X2.

Back to topic
                  1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB
                  3/4 axles, 39.5 IROKS, HYDRO assist

Comment

thanks Casey! it totally apart and going though it all, everything new just dont get it! it be April sumtime Corey i bring smith buggy down, i cant wait!! only thing it drinks pane!!!!!
                    SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

My first XJ did the very same thing years ago after playing at the play ground in Livingston. Once home I took it to my trans guy. Valve body was full of mud and water. The Chrysler auto's have a vent hole behind the torque converter right above the input shaft ..... not a real good spot. A total rebuild was needed.

Comment

I always hear good things about the AW4 trannies from the cherokees and wonder if that would be a good alternative. The swap is easy as well from what I have seen and heard. Maybe I need to come check that poor ole jeep out! Think it misses me!
                        sigpic

Comment

I had the same issue of water entry with my 904 in my 2000 TJ, with the vent hole behind the torque converter in the pump case. I got the tranny full of mud and water in deep stuff. When I rebuilt it, I tapped and plugged that vent, and added a vent in the rear tailhousing that I ran a hose up high from, over the brake booster. That is how all my older ford tranny's are vented.

Comment

Working...
                          X