2012 RZR XP 900 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
    Figured you would be getting new tires after the DTOR trip. The Blackwaters are at the top of my list also.
    Found out the hard way, they run small! Mine came with 26" Bighorns, the 27" Blackwaters are a tad smaller. I hear Bighorns run big. I would've got 28's if they had them in my rim size. I have 2 new 26x11x12 Blackwaters in my garage. What size do you need?

Comment

I will go with at least a 28" tire, and maybe up to a 30", when I get new ones. From what I have seen the 26" Bighorns (which I have) run big compared to many other brands. Actually I think they just run true to size and most others run small. I know my 26" Bighorns look huge compared to the different brands of 25's on my dad's Polaris Ranger and Arctic Cat ATV.

When talking about the 28's in the Blackwaters I assume you are talking about the width? I know in the 28" size for a 12" rim they only make them in the 10" width so you can't run skinnier in the front and wider in the rear like factory. I'll probably wind up just getting the same size front and rear. If I had 14" rims I would really be looking at 29's, but they don't make anything that size for 12" rims.

Comment

Yes, the width. Not sure I want a wider tire up front, and thinner out back. Bigger tires would be nice, but breaking axles all the time isn't. My rzr has survived a lot of abuse without breaking. I'd like to keep it that way.
        How well will yours hold up with big tires?

Comment

I run 28x10x14's all around and love it. I like the spare working all around and being able to rotate tires is also nice.

SxS's go so good in 2wd that you'd have bald rear tires and the fronts would still be damn near full tread when you can't rotate. I bet my XP spends 90% of the time in 2wd when I'm at Rush/DTOR/Haspin/Windrock.

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
            Yes, the width. Not sure I want a wider tire up front, and thinner out back. Bigger tires would be nice, but breaking axles all the time isn't. My rzr has survived a lot of abuse without breaking. I'd like to keep it that way.
            How well will yours hold up with big tires?
            The Teryx's are known to be pretty beefy and breaking axles with 28-30" tires is not that common. Not trying to bash on RZR's or Polaris in general but they are not well known for durability.

Comment

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
              The Teryx's are known to be pretty beefy and breaking axles with 28-30" tires is not that common. Not trying to bash on RZR's or Polaris in general but they are not well known for durability.
              Do you think a Teryx with 100hp and 30" tires would have an issue with breakage? It would if I drove it. LOL. I would say HP and aggressive driving style is what kills most RZR's. Next time around, I am getting bigger tires that are the same all around so I can rotate them.

Comment

Put on some very needed belly, trailing arm, and rocker protection.
                The 1/2" UHMW skid should do the job. Probably should've put the trailing arm guards on a long time ago. They are hit!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161217_140926.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	72207

Name:	20161219_200329.jpg
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	72208

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
                  Do you think a Teryx with 100hp and 30" tires would have an issue with breakage? It would if I drove it. LOL. I would say HP and aggressive driving style is what kills most RZR's. Next time around, I am getting bigger tires that are the same all around so I can rotate them.
                  Honestly I would feel comfortable with it. Obviously the chance of breaking increases, especially if you were driving it, but it should handle it without having to baby it everywhere. There are several Teryx's out there with engine kits or turbos that are claiming in the 100 hp range (several companies make kits for these) and never any reports of excessive breakage. CV shafts are the most common but don't think I have ever heard of a diff, trans, or anything else going out.

The guy in this video owns a well known CVT clutch, tuner, and engine performance aftermarket company for Kawasaki and Yamaha machines. This is a '14 Teryx with some engine work, clutch kit, programming, and 29" tires. It will outrun a stock Maverick 1000. This is not some sort of drag race specific build either as he takes it trailriding to a lot of big events and uses it for R&D work. He posts a lot on several boards and don't remember him ever reporting issues with anything over the last couple of years. Granted he has several grand $$ into this setup but it's mostly stuff you can buy off the shelf and bolt on minus some machine work on the engine. There is at least one other video on YouTube of a different Teryx with the same engine work beating a Mav 1000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gdmqij1mvg

Definitely not trying to put the Teryx in the same league as some of these other machines in regards to power or suspension.....and really wish Kawasaki would get going on an upgraded machine!

Comment

Somehow i managed to bend the front driver axle. The center shaft has a nice crown now. It's one of the new ones i put on in June. Has a 1 year warranty, so I'll see if it's covered.
                    I always thought the joint would fail, not the shaft bending. Supposedly it's cro-moly

Comment

For me it has always been the CV joints that explode. Have yet to trash a shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Checked the other shafts, and two of them have a slight wobble to them. Doh!

Comment

Been checking out tires again. Found two I really like in a 30x10x14. It's easy to see why the crawler weighs more. Looks like the Carnivore might clean out better. Opinions?

The Pro Armor Crawler XG - Weighs 39lbs, and tread depth is .78"

Name:	crawler.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	72224

The Maxxis Carnivore - Weighs 30.5 lbs, and tread depth is .875".

Name:	Carnivoir.jpg
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	72225

Comment

Carnivore looks like it would clean better as said but I'd say the other would get better traction on rock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                            www.offroadohio.com
                            www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
                            www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
                            www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

I've been watching the videos of the SRRS UTV races and Cash's RZR buggy has carnivores on it and he was the only one to make it up a hill in the race before last and this race he was one of five to make it up another hill but he was the only one that didn't break the tape. When it's time I'll be getting Carnivores for mine.

Comment

Originally posted by race10 View Post
                                I've been watching the videos of the SRRS UTV races and Cash's RZR buggy has carnivores on it and he was the only one to make it up a hill in the race before last and this race he was one of five to make it up another hill but he was the only one that didn't break the tape. When it's time I'll be getting Carnivores for mine.
                                Better plan ahead if you want 30's or 32's. They are on back order often. People buying them like crazy.
                                I decided to wait and get the Carnivores when they are available. I hate waiting....

Comment

Working...
                                X