GPS apps for smart phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS apps for smart phones

Anybody have any experience with any of the free GPS apps you can download to a smart phone?

Downloaded the Polaris Ride Command app last night and have been playing with it. For driving in a normal car it gives you a decent map view and allows you to trace routes and add waypoints. Also has many trails setup on it, including being able to download regions so they are available with no cell signal.

One really cool feature it has is called Group Ride....if every rig in your group has the device you can sync them together and see everybody on your screen. The only problem is sounds like you need cell service for this to work.

I use BackCountry Navigator. Free trial, ten or fifteen bucks. Download satellite and topographic maps beforehand. Record trails, export to your laptop, edit them into a map. Works good.

I even bought a cheap 8" tablet and mounted it in my dash. Better display, and $60 if I kill it, not a $500 phone.
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

I use Avenza maps...this also allows you to download Topo maps and will record your movement, allow waypoints...some maps of trails awe already out there for a minimal charge.
      sigpic

Keep them on all 4's

Comment

Working...
      X