Driving with out a windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving with out a windshield

Lately I have seen several cjs, a willys and many motorcycles without windshields. Do I need to have one in my Yj? I will have one soon but I dont right now. My neighbor drove his Tracker for several months without one but will I get pulled over?
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

??

Motorcycles don't need a windshield.
    No helmet needed either, for a motorcycle.

Without looking through the code, I don't see how they could, but I'm sure that would give some cops a reason to find something else to pull you over. Good luck!

BiggDaddy

By the way, what state are you talking about? That may make a difference.
    '82 CJ-7, 6" lift, stock axles
    258, 35x15.50x15 TSL/SX
    Rustoleum Gray

Comment

Sorry. Ohio

Comment

not required in Ohio , now I will say that there are troopers out there that will pull you over and say you need one for PC for the stop . you must have eye protection if running with out a windshield . Got stopped years ago with my dad in his 1950 MG TD , we were running with the windshield down and goggles on . Dumb Ass aslo wanted to know where are seat belts were at >>>> I thought my old man was going to tell him " if they were up your ass......... "

Comment

Wear a helmet, you get some crazy looks from others.
          1994 Dodge Ram 5.9L SWB
          3/4 axles, 39.5 IROKS, HYDRO assist

Comment

Ok good. Are my glasses considered eye protection?

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
              Ok good. Are my glasses considered eye protection?
              i've always just worn sunglasses. i haven't had a windshield on a jeep in about 6 years, and haven't ever had a problem, even on hte highway.
              zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

ORC 4513.24 You need a windshield on the street

Sarge, where did you get your info? I would like to drive without a windshield but my book states it is not legal

Comment

I stand corrected , However, it just states that you have to have one . It doesn't say it has to be up in any fixed position. In 15 years I have never known anyone in my area to write someone for no windshield. There are rail buggy's running around here everywhere with out windshields and as long as the driver has some form or eye protection on nothing is said.

Comment

Originally posted by 33TJ97 View Post
                    ORC 4513.24 You need a windshield on the street

Sarge, where did you get your info? I would like to drive without a windshield but my book states it is not legal
                    So what about motorcycles?

Comment

It states that Motorcycles and motorized bicycles do not fall under this section.

So they do not have to have a windshield but you still must wear eye protection.

Comment

Originally posted by 33TJ97 View Post
                        ORC 4513.24
                        Interesting that part (b) seems to prohibit any and all window stickers.

4513.24 Windshield and windshield wipers.
                        (A) No person shall drive any motor vehicle on a street or highway in this state, other than a motorcycle or motorized bicycle, that is not equipped with a windshield.

(B) No person shall drive any motor vehicle, other than a bus, with any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings, side, or rear windows of such vehicle other than a certificate or other paper required to be displayed by law, except that there may be in the lower left-hand or right-hand corner of the windshield a sign, poster, or decal not to exceed four inches in height by six inches in width. No sign, poster, or decal shall be displayed in the front windshield in such a manner as to conceal the vehicle identification number for the motor vehicle when, in accordance with federal law, that number is located inside the vehicle passenger compartment and so placed as to be readable through the vehicle glazing without moving any part of the vehicle.

Robert
                        DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                        Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                          Interesting that part (b) seems to prohibit any and all window stickers.

4513.24 Windshield and windshield wipers.
                          (A) No person shall drive any motor vehicle on a street or highway in this state, other than a motorcycle or motorized bicycle, that is not equipped with a windshield.

(B) No person shall drive any motor vehicle, other than a bus, with any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings, side, or rear windows of such vehicle other than a certificate or other paper required to be displayed by law, except that there may be in the lower left-hand or right-hand corner of the windshield a sign, poster, or decal not to exceed four inches in height by six inches in width. No sign, poster, or decal shall be displayed in the front windshield in such a manner as to conceal the vehicle identification number for the motor vehicle when, in accordance with federal law, that number is located inside the vehicle passenger compartment and so placed as to be readable through the vehicle glazing without moving any part of the vehicle.

Robert
                          There are some odd laws in ohio that make no sense at all. But no emissiosn and who cares about rust is nice for us so I try not to complain much.

Ive never been hassled for no windshield, I just tossed saftey glasses on and went in my truggy tracker thing I had.

Today I was followed/passed by a couple state highway patrols running my trail rig down the interstate and I though for sure one of them would find a reason to snatch me up but none of them bothered me.
                          www.offroadohio.com
                          www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
                          www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
                          www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

It has a windshield, it didn't say that it couldn't be down.

Comment

Originally posted by offroadohio View Post
                              ...no emissions...
                              Cross your fingers on that.

With the EPA's new meaner-greener ozone standards, everybody's favorite Echeck might be making a comeback.

My hope is that nothing will be put into place before my plates are due in April '11. Then assuming they bring it back as a biannual test (like it was before), my '89 won't be tested in '12 because of the even/odd rotation.

Then if I can get a two-year renewal in '12, or a 12-month waiver in '13, I'll be good til '14, when the old girl turns 25 and ages out of the test.

Yeah. I've given it some thought.

Robert
                              DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                              Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Working...
                              X