14 bolt drums stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14 bolt drums stuck

I cant get the drums on my 14 bolt off. I tried using the adjuster screw but its stuck too. Is there another way to get the drums off or should I just cut them? I already tried beating them with a mini sledge. Maybe I need a bigger hammer? They will move about 1/2" Any help would be appreciated

Sounds like the groove in the drum from the wear of the break shoes is probably holding you up a bit. If the adjuster can't be moved in or knocked off the shoes you may have to cut em. Sounds like fun!
    sigpic

Comment

A bigger hammer or prybar would probably get er off.
      Who cares how much ya damage em, cause you're converting to discs, right?

Or else this could be a good excuse for that plasma cutter you been needing...

Comment

Yes, Im converting to discs. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt going to damage something important or have something unspring and hit me if I cut them. Thanks, looks like I'll be breaking out the grinder

Comment

The grinder to cut em off? That will suck! Use some explosives or hook your tow rig up to the drum and rip it off. Make it exciting!
          sigpic

Comment

hmmm, if you can't get the adjuster to move to back the shoes off, then see if you can dismount the wheel cylinder and let it fall into the drum. This may allow the shoes to fall into the center a little more, giving you room to get the drum off.

Good luck... and forget the grinder... get a sawzall or a portaband or something....

Comment

Take a 3 pound hammer and beat them. You wont hurt the drums. They will pop off.
              91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

I unhooked 2 springs and it still didnt budge. 7 grinding wheels later and its off! I dont have a better tool than a grinder for this job :( Thanks for all your help

Comment

Originally posted by 33TJ97 View Post
                  I unhooked 2 springs and it still didnt budge. 7 grinding wheels later and its off! I dont have a better tool than a grinder for this job :( Thanks for all your help
                  No explosives? Bummer! :(
                  sigpic

Comment

Leave it to Truggy to want to blow everything up!!!
                    Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it,
                    But only you can feel the true warmth.

Comment

Working...
                    X