Before & After - My 1993 K1500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by underpowered View Post
    Just throwing it out there, by the time in invest that much effort into redoing a rig, or building a whole new one basically i would think you would be time and money ahead to just go full tube chassis. You have the hard parts already by re-using you current drivetrain, just sub out the truck body and frame for a tube chassis.

I have given this some thought recently at well about my big behemoth of a K5. Looked into build it. links, more tube, hacking it up for better approach/departure angles and so forth and came to the above conclusion. The Only upside to the truck, is i have a title to the blazer and could keep it streetable.
    I see your point, but I really want to have a cab and doors though. It sure makes wheeling in the winter or rain a lot nicer.

Comment

I'm really interested to see what you come up with as I'm in the same boat. I like the K5 but simply having a smaller body seems like it would make most trails a little more enjoyable as you don't have to worry about snaking in and out of trees as much....the tires would still be the same width but at least you wouldn't have to worry about the body as much.

Not sure on the weights but wouldn't think you lose much between the fullsize regular cab and S-10 extended cab considering most of the heavy stuff (frame, drivetrain, etc...) all stays the same.

Comment

This is the reason I like my truggy so much. It is a full tube chassis but still has a toyota cab and dog house. Seriously thinking of starting a new chassis with the same concept but with a few changes to suit my style better.
        JT Jones

83 Toyota - beater
        87 Toyota Truggy

Comment

I'm not sure your gonna save weight by going to an ex cab s10 cab... I have a cab if u wanna come measure on it... It's a heavy pig... If u wanna save weight get rid of the full frame and do a tube frame it makes a world of difference... The green ex s10 I built that I posted pix of a while back had some of the original frame and time I plated it up to be strong enough for the links it got real fn heavy... My current rig/build is a full tube chassis reg cab s10 with tons and its gonna be MUCH lighter than the ex cab I built for my buddy
          S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Here's my frame Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376060480.254900.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	71224
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376060507.736718.jpg
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	71225
            Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376060521.986710.jpg
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	71226

I'm hoping to weigh in under 4500#

Comment

Ex cab linked both ends makes for LONG wb... My buddies is 12 9 and be tough to get it much shorter and still have good approach/departure angles... Mind is 116" and right where I wanted it

Comment

Your engine, axles, frame size are what's killin you on weight, my rig weighs in at around 3500 Lbs, start downsizing on axles & motor, besides its your weight that will hold you back or brakes you in the first place. Just my opinion...
                No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

Originally posted by humpy View Post
                  Ex cab linked both ends makes for LONG wb... My buddies is 12 9 and be tough to get it much shorter and still have good approach/departure angles... Mind is 116" and right where I wanted it
                  That's sweet!! I like the idea of a tube frame. I didn't realize the s-10 ext cab was so long. I was wanting to go a little less than the 117" mine is now. My biggest issue now besides being on the heavy side is it's way too long. Linking it would fix that. I figure I can remove around 30" off the length if I link it. The width at the sliders can be an issue at times, but not a huge problem.If I end up doing an s-10, the tube frame and non ext cab would be the ticket.

There are things I can do now to save weight. I know my stock doors are heavy. There's an easy 150 lbs. I just don't know if it's worth it to build a whole new rig to save 500 or so pounds.

If you don't mind, could you throw a tape across your rock sliders and let me know what it is. If what I read online was correct, my cab is only 8" wider than the s-10. That doesn't sound right. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Runoveru2 View Post
                    Your engine, axles, frame size are what's killin you on weight, my rig weighs in at around 3500 Lbs, start downsizing on axles & motor, besides its your weight that will hold you back or brakes you in the first place. Just my opinion...
                    I hear ya... I doubt I will ever run less than what my current drivetrain is. I just need another 100HP.

Comment

Yea ill measure tomoris mornin when I'm at my shop... Those are tons and 43s ...it will be fairly low for a truggy rig... 23" belly and 76" to top of cage...

Comment

Mine is over 5000, I am sure. Ext cab small truck, wheelbase=131. You have to ditch a lot of creature comforts and tools/parts to get the weight down. Good luck. A thousand pounds is tough.
                        91 Ranger ext cab, 60, 14 bolt, 4:88's, 39.5's, doubler, lot's of character

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
                          I hear ya... I doubt I will ever run less than what my current drivetrain is. I just need another 100HP.
                          That is my thoughts exactly!! more motor!
                          SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Originally posted by humpy View Post
                            Yea ill measure tomoris mornin when I'm at my shop... Those are tons and 43s ...it will be fairly low for a truggy rig... 23" belly and 76" to top of cage...
                            The top of my cage is 84" and belly is 22" on 39.5. It's 15'3" long and slider width is 76"

Originally posted by Redriverranger View Post
                            Mine is over 5000, I am sure. Ext cab small truck, wheelbase=131. You have to ditch a lot of creature comforts and tools/parts to get the weight down. Good luck. A thousand pounds is tough.
                            Yeah, I would miss my big box with tools, fluids etc. Sounds like if you want a V8 drivetrain and tons your gonna be heavy. I could get it under 5000 with not to much trouble. The motor I want would come close by itself.

Originally posted by twiztedzuki View Post
                            That is my thoughts exactly!! more motor!
                            The stock 5.7 tbi with 155000 miles on it is tired. I definetly need a boost in HP. I found an all aluminum 5.3 take out motor for $1300 on Ebay. It has 325 HP. The 5.7 had 205 HP. This engine has to lighter than my all cast iron turd.

Comment

Cab buggy is best of both worlds.

having a large rig on tons and big tires but keeping it light is tough.

i want to weigh my beast, i am betting about the same as your truck at about 5200lbs or so. it is wider than your truck though, slider to slider is 80", but belly is 24 with an 84" roof height.

my next ride will be all tube, either with cab, or even just full side panels.
                              beat up rusted out k5

Comment

i like where this thread is going..just saying!
                                my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Working...
                                X