Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flint View Post
    Wow, how many watts are you running?
    I have absolutely no idea, friend of mine that's a truck driver got it for me for my birthday bout 16 years ago, he told me it was the only Cb I would ever need.
    No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

Originally posted by Waffle
      Question....

Is anyone here interested in getting a Baofeng programable 2 way?
      Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-BF-88...4020872&sr=1-3
      DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
      Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
        Something like this?
        On the Baofeng website you linked to, that 888s is listed under "discontinued radios." Guess that's why it's cheap?

Comment

Where are you getting it tuned at? Do they need the vehicle as well when doing so? I have a really nice cobra I want to get tuned as well and some suggestions on CB antenna mounting.
          sigpic

Keep them on all 4's

Comment

If anyone is interested, I have a good friend the sell 25watt waterproof dual bands and 75 watt dual bands. If interested, look up Brad Blair on facebook and he can hook you up for a lot less than rugged ridge.

Comment

I can't even begin to describe how happy I was with the trail communication, the stress level was completely gone knowing you had direct contact at all times and little to no possibility of someone falling behind, This communication needs to be the top of the priority list on wheeling outings.
              No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

Okay, you've convinced me that it's time I get something together. I don't want or need fancy, just functional.

So in my amazon shopping cart, I've got:
                - That Uniden pro520xl radio that Mark recommended as "the upper end of cheap." That's me.
                - A three foot, tip-adjustable Firestik, FS-3BK, per the "choosing the best antenna" link.
                - 18' coax, a Firestik HD stainless spring, and both their K4 and K4A mounting studs.

Anything I should change before I pull the trigger? I may soften to the medium spring, it won't be on there day-to-day to be a problem on the highway.

Once I pull my fender off, I can see what kind of bracket I'll want to rig up to reuse the factory antenna hole. My goal there is to protect the mount and base from damage, and just have the spring and antenna exposed. I may need to (may go ahead and) add a grounding wire, rather than trust the stud-bracket-fender-body connections. I guess since the coax ends at the stud, the spring itself is "live" and needs to not ground out on the fender. That'll take some attention.

That radio will support an external speaker, but that's easy enough to add later that I'll try it as-is first.

If I make it to Rich's could I get some help tuning it before Rush?

Comment

Your stud will be isolated from a 1/2" hole...
                  It'll mount and ground through the 1/2" hole in the bracket I put inside the fender, then the spring and antenna will just poke up through the 1" hole in the fender.

Anything above that will then be isolated as well...
                  Unless the spring leans over and contacts the metal of the fender, the edge of that 1" hole, that's my worry. Though, as along as it's not the moment I'm transmitting, I guess it won't hurt anything.

Fyi, if you use the K4 terminal end stud you'll also need a terminal end coax...
                  This? I think it's right. (pic below)
                  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JT0CGI..._MTZnzbDZVMMRP

Only thing I would also suggest is a 90 degree male to female coax adapter...
                  I saw those, but I'm going to try to follow the factory antenna lead as much as I can. It shoots straight down a foot before passing though the inner fender and firewall.

Appreciate the advice, as always!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by WrenchMonkey; 06-06-2017, 07:59 PM.

Comment

That makes sense. I was ordering both studs because I wasn't clear on the difference. I'll just do K4A.

Comment

Working...
                    X