No announcement yet.

Looking for Opinions - V8 Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, just looking around quickly on www.car-parts.com, I can pick up a 6.0L for the same price as a 5.3, so it looks like it might be a better route. I looked on AA, but can't find an adapter for the Gen III to TH400, but I'm sure they make one, then after that it's an Atlas. TomH, what did the swap end up running you, if you don't mind me asking. I'm thinking $6-$7K?

Comment

Originally posted by Trigger View Post
      TomH, what did the swap end up running you, if you don't mind me asking. I'm thinking $6-$7K?
      You're about right on. I picked up an '06 Escalade (LQ9) including the 4L65e and all of the accessories, ECM, harness etc. for $4K to my doorstep. The motor/trans was pricey, but it was virtually new (500 mi).

Between the cam, Atlas-II with adapters, VSS kit, headers, etc. there is another $3K (Max).

Comment

if it were me... I would go sbc 350 or 400 pane injected t400 and atlas, could do that for 3500.00 4000.00 with all good parts on it. but thats me.
        Dont look @ me in that tone of voice or I WILL PUNCH YOU IN THE SHIRT! :mad:

Comment

I liked the jeep and how well it performed with mostly all jeep components except for the axles and suspension. Factory steering box, pump, motor, trans, t-case, body etc... Parts could be easily found at an auto parts store and a factory chiltons manual covered it. Not many rigs around that I have seen or heard of that could cover terrain as much as it could with mostly stock internals. Suspension setup was spot on and gearing was right.
          sigpic

Comment

Check Pirates classifieds for the Atlas. I looked around several months ago and there were several of them at the time. Could save you hundreds.

Comment

Originally posted by jwend View Post
              if it were me... I would go sbc 350 or 400 pane injected t400 and atlas, could do that for 3500.00 4000.00 with all good parts on it. but thats me.
              I'd say SBC too... For what you mentioned your budget might be you could buy a new 350 crate motor and still have some change for go fast goodies, and you can find parts just about anywhere. Just my 2 cents.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MLL-BP3830CT1/

sigpic
              chris hodges
              96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
              71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

Originally posted by Trigger View Post
                Well, just looking around quickly on www.car-parts.com, I can pick up a 6.0L for the same price as a 5.3, so it looks like it might be a better route. I looked on AA, but can't find an adapter for the Gen III to TH400, but I'm sure they make one, then after that it's an Atlas. TomH, what did the swap end up running you, if you don't mind me asking. I'm thinking $6-$7K?
                If I had to choose I would definitely go with the 6.0L.

Isn't the reason there is no adaptor for a Gen III to a TH400 is that you don't need one? I was thinking the only thing to deal with is reprogramming the engine ECU so it is not looking for signals coming from the trans???

Comment

4.3 is always a good option like said close to numbers of a 350 with less weight. My buddy runs a highly modified 4.3 vortec in his mud bog truck and they make him compete in the v8 class and generally still wins or at least places. If they let him run nitrous he always wins.
                  1989 ext cab yota 22re bored .20 over trd cam, trd headers, Marlin crawler front bumper w/stinger, Marlin crawler roll cage, trailgear rear bumper, trailgear rock sliders, richmond 5.29's, and lockright rear, 33 nokian mt's. 10k winch. Rear disc conversion. Chromoly rear axle shafts. Bombproof motor mounts and transfer case mount. Whole lot of rust and scratches.

Comment

The upside to the 5.7/6.0 Gen-III/IV GM motors over the 4.3 is bags of cheap reliable torque and HP without any exotic (i.e. Expensive) parts. The 5.3 is also a great option, but it comes down to what you can find for a donor.

The drive-by-wire versions run without hesitation in hot/cold, wet/dry, from the moment you turn the key and have lots of grunt from about 800 RPM up. A lot of guys go through the effort of changing them to cable throttles, but as easy as the ETC setup is to install, I wouldn't bother.

Good luck.

Comment

Go GenIII/IV 6.0 .. I bought a low miles LQ9 locally ..complete minus the harness for $900.. 345hp stock.

Add a cam and tune and your at 400 ponies for under $2k... thats hard to beat.

Jeff

Comment

i think you want low end power and fast response, out of a I6 stroker motor you will have that nasty low end torque where you need and i throttle response is excellent, my buddy has a cherokee with a 4.7 inline 6 he has plenty low end and it winds pretty high to

Comment

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
                          If I had to choose I would definitely go with the 6.0L.

Isn't the reason there is no adaptor for a Gen III to a TH400 is that you don't need one? I was thinking the only thing to deal with is reprogramming the engine ECU so it is not looking for signals coming from the trans???

You are right on the turbo 400 bolting up to the 6.0. The main issue is that the bolt that would be in the 3/4 o'clock position is untapped in the LS block(all of them) because the coolant passage is right there,so GM left it untapped. I can take a pic of my 6.0 in the shop if you need to see what im talking about. I will have to look also but I think I read somewhere you need to add spacers between the torque converter and flex plate. I could be wrong but it does come to mind.

Strickers auto parts in owensville has iron block 6.0 liter engines with 500 miles for $2500.00

Greg
                          Regret not what you've done,Only what you have'nt.

Comment

what is coming of this swap? does the 4.0 still live? Can I buy the poor old 4.0?
                            sigpic

Comment

Everything is on hold for right now. I'm currently sitting in sunny Qatar. I will be back in November, and then I'm going to be paying for a wedding, so the V8 swap is a little down the road. Damn, I hate being responsible!

Comment

What gears/tire size do you have now?

I've got a bone stock 4.0HO in my 03 TJ... only thing done is 2.5" exhaust from after the stock header/cats on back. With 5.86s and 40" tires and being quite heavy for a TJ... it pretty much hauls ass. Everyone who has ridden with me(street or offroad) has pretty much **** themselves

Edit:

And I did gears for a guy on JF(username MarineJRM) and he has a home-built 4.6L stroker in his XJ... that thing flat out hauls ass something fierce. He can burn the tires pretty much at will(35s). It dyno'd something impressive at the wheels too(around 200hp at the wheels IIRC?). He has a thread on JF documenting his stroker build, might be something to look at. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X