common 89 cherokee problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• common 89 cherokee problems?

Looking at buying a 89 cherokee and as a toyota guy dont know a whole lot about them. As a mechanic by trade I know to check alot of things but looking for any common jeep problems like rusty toyota frames to keep a extra good eye out for. The guy didnt tell me what motor was in it all I know about is its a 89 with a rebuilt engine and trans with roughly 80k on them. thanks
    1989 ext cab yota 22re bored .20 over trd cam, trd headers, Marlin crawler front bumper w/stinger, Marlin crawler roll cage, trailgear rear bumper, trailgear rock sliders, richmond 5.29's, and lockright rear, 33 nokian mt's. 10k winch. Rear disc conversion. Chromoly rear axle shafts. Bombproof motor mounts and transfer case mount. Whole lot of rust and scratches.

Cherokee's usually have a 4.0L and an AW4 auto trans. Both are pretty bullet proof. That one will come with a vacuum disconnect Dana 30 front axle, not too bad but can be upgraded. It will more than likely have a Dana 35 rear axle that is possibly non c-clip so that's better than the c-clip one. Watch for rust since the unibody is the "frame" and the rear leaf spring mounts can go and are a pain. The motors can easily run 200k without sludge.
    88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

Yep, everything he said, plus saggy door hinges.

They're not hard to fix, I'll find you a link, cause you're probably gonna need it.

Robert

Here ya go:
      http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=986973
      Last edited by WrenchMonkey; 01-31-2011, 12:06 AM.
      DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
      Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

My solution to the xj door hinge, welding wasn't that bad, it doesn't take much.
        http://teamdevilfrogg.weebly.com/tec...-own-risk.html

Comment

Check inside the "frame" rails for rust on the floorboards & otherwise everything else is easy to fix if it's running/driving well. If the motor was replaced the motor/trans mounts should not be worn out like a lot are. Window motors going out is also pretty common in my experience since most came with power windows. One thing to keep an eye out for is a leaky fuel injector, if they leak they leak on the manifold & you know what that leads to...

Comment

sounds like everyone else covered it pretty well.

saggy rear leafs is a very common problem as well. otherwise, pretty bulletproof little rides if you don't go too crazy with them
            beat up rusted out k5

Comment

Yeah you can easily fix the rear leaf springs, get some S10 or other spring under 2.5" wide springs. Take the long leaves out of the donor pack and build one with the combonation.
              88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

Working...
              X