high pinion????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high pinion????

Always heard not to run a high pinion in the rear but is it really that much weaker? If the gears are designed to run that way how does it matter if its in front or out back?

I have heard that it is 20-30% weaker. If you are low HP and mild tire size it may survive.
    sigpic

Comment

Reverse cut gears are stronger in front application, but at least 20% weaker in the rear. There is a lot of tooth deflection on these due to the type of engagement they have. Most manufacturers suggest no more than a 35" tire and mild horsepower.

But i've seen guys run them and beat the snot out of them and have no issues at all.

Comment

As mentioned above, a high pinion (or reverse rotation) gears were designed for the front so they were powered on the drive side of the gears = stronger. Put a high pinion in the rear and you are now running on the cost sides = not as strong. Same type of situation but reverse of a low pinion (standard rotation) gears......powered on the drive side when in the rear but cost side if in the front.

I periodically hear about people blowing out the R&P in high pinion rear 60's in rigs like TJ's with 38's, but this is all second hand and I'm sure only a small percentage. A guy in our club has one in his YJ with 37" Boggers with the 4.0L, NV4500, and 4-speed Atlas (manual combined with low gears = more stress). He's been beating on it pretty hard for a couple of years now, including a stint on a set of borrowed 42's, with no issues so far.

Comment

I saw one yesterday that was blown apart so I think I'll go with plan B:mad:

Comment

See how there is a flat side and an angled side of each tooth?

The flat side is the drive side, the angled side is the coast side.

High pinion in the rear = driving forwards on the coast side... so the pinion is basically pushing the ring gear away from itself about as hard as it is trying to turn forward.

If you want a high pinion rear it needs to be BEEFY to handle the abuse... I would consider a HP D70 as minimum... and even then I'd consider pinion bearing replacements as a normal maintenance item every few years.

Comment

That makes sense, thanks.

Comment

The same thing is true for a low pinion when you are driving in reverse ( you are pushing on the coast side of the gears). That is why you should not recover someone in reverse because it puts a lot of stress on the drivetrain and they are getting pushed away from each other.

Comment

Originally posted by T-bird View Post
                  The same thing is true for a low pinion when you are driving in reverse ( you are pushing on the coast side of the gears). That is why you should not recover someone in reverse because it puts a lot of stress on the drivetrain and they are getting pushed away from each other.
                  Right.

At the same time though, if you have a low pinion front then you're at least driving on the drive side if you do something dumb is reverse... but I would still never pull anyone out because stuff breaking up front is about 2x more expensive

Comment

not sure why everyone calls it "reverse rotation"...the gears rotate the exact same way as a standard gearset.

There are "standard cut" gears and "reverse cut" gears. The difference being the direction the teeth are cut onto the gears so they mesh together since one is low pinion and one is high pinion

Comment

Working...
                    X