Hobart 140

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart 140

I am wondering if anyone has opinions about Hobart welders, particularly the 140? I am looking for a decent mig to do some body work and minor fabrication stuff with and the Hobart seems like a good buy at $499. Most of the reviews online are good but I thought I'd ask around to see if anyone has heard anything negative.

Some of the Hobart 140 specs.

Welds 24 ga. up to 1/4 in. mild steel in a single pass
    Operates off 115V household current
    4 voltage settings for precise set-up
    30 to 140 output amperage
    Duty cycle - 20% at 90 amps
    Dual groove, quick change drive roll
    Self-resetting thermal overload system protection
    Built-in contactor eases use and is an excellent safety feature which makes wire electrically "cold" when not welding
    Manufacturers limited warranty

Personally, I would not waste my money on a 110v welder. Pay a little more and get a 220v. Otherwise, Hobart are decent machines.
    One Country, One Flag, One Language...
    LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

id go 180 lincoln they cost little more and do alot more with it
      SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

I like my 187 hobart alot. it works great

Comment

Originally posted by timido View Post
          I like my 187 hobart alot. it works great
          X2^^^^ a 110 welder will work just fine if your only gonna weld tubing or 1/8" and under but if u plan on 4 links and thick tabs and link bars and all that the 110 won't be enough
          S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Originally posted by humpy View Post
            X2^^^^ a 110 welder will work just fine if your only gonna weld tubing or 1/8" and under but if u plan on 4 links and thick tabs and link bars and all that the 110 won't be enough
            x2 good advise. welding 3/16 and 1/4 single pass my 187amp is turned up pretty high.

Comment

It's doable with a 110V. It just takes more beveling, more prep work and multiple passes.

I built my whole rig with a Handler 140, including the rear links and the cut-n-turn on the front axle.

It would have been faster and cleaner with a 220V welder, but it is possible.
              1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
              FJ 40 axles (4.10)
              5.14 tcase
              36" TSL SX

Comment

**** it! Get the hobart... I got one and love it, I use it on everything. They can go up to 1/4" material, kinda sketchy after that. But these things are tits for roll bars, exhaust pipe, lawn mowers etc..... I have zero complaints for what it is. That doesn't mean go try and weld 1/2" plate with it, you gotta use your head a little
                If you don't want it broke, don't let me drive it....

Comment

Originally posted by Hope Springs Hauler View Post
                  It's doable with a 110V. It just takes more beveling, more prep work and multiple passes.

I built my whole rig with a Handler 140, including the rear links and the cut-n-turn on the front axle.

It would have been faster and cleaner with a 220V welder, but it is possible.
                  Exactly^^^^ I borowed a Miller 140 when I started my 3/16 DOM exo and figured out quick that is was going to be a lot of work, so I went and bought a Lincoln 180 and was super happy with it. It was a night and day differance. If you have 220 in your garage, then I wouldn't mess with a 110.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to look into some of the 220v units and see if the cost comparison will be worth it to me.
                    I don't have 220 in my garage but he breaker box is in there. I guess getting 220 installed would be easy enough.

Got 220v welder suggestions?

Comment

i got a 180 lincoln welder and does good job as long u dont get to carried away, i use it for everything except links then it 1/8 7018 rod. think u can get 180 for around 6hundy on ebay with factory warranty
                      SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Tractor supply:

Hobart 210 MVP $899 runs on 110 or 220V. welds 3/8inch. I have a 210 (not an MVP). its a good welder for me. My buddy is a professional welder (they use millers). he has welded with it and says it does at goos as his Lincoln 250.

Hobart 190 (i think this replaced the 187). 220V welder. welds 5/16. $699. I would buy this one over the 140 any day. you will be much happier with a 220V welder.

since you dont have 220V, a MVP may be what you need. use the 110 now, and then run 220V at a later date. dont forget the gas bottle. a good size one will run you about $200
                        1976 CJ 5
                        1984 CJ 7
                        1993 K3500 GMC 6.5 TD

Comment

I built my 1 ton TJ with a HH140.

That said, if I were in a position to buy again, I'd go straight for a 210. Main reason I went for a 110v machine was I lived at home and it would have cost a bunch to rewire the garage that I'd be moving out of in a few years since the fuse panel was full and my dad wasn't too happy about me even wanting to have that done.

LOTS of prep, preheat with a propane torch, and multiple passes on all the important/thick stuff.

Comment

I built most of my xj with a hh140. I love it. I also have a 220 century stick welder but i still found myself using the hobart on most of it. Even links, link mounts , and homemade driveshafts. Just prep good and be realistic of its capabilities and what needs to be done as far as prep and passes.
                            BYAAH!!!

Comment

If you have money to burn, get a Miller. If you're like most of us, then a Lincoln or Hobart will do. The bigger the welder, the less prep there is.

Yellowjacket has a Hobart 210 and a tank for sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X