question on setting pinion bearing preload

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on setting pinion bearing preload

In the process of setting up new gears in my 9" and I don't have a dial torque wrench to set the preload on the pinion bearing. Anyone know if a deflection torque wrench will work or have advice on accomplishing this. Thanks.

u need a dial so u can see the gauge when u spin pinion. i hav 1 u could borrow, surely sumone closer can help u out
    SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

I agree. I just keep seeming to strike out on locating one. I don't have the $$ to pay over $200 for a tool I'll use once in a great while. I checked the military hobby shop and they don't have one but recommended using the deflection torque wrench. I've never done it that way and didn't think it would work. That's why I'm asking.

I'm also thinking about taking the pinion assembly to a drivetrain shop and paying them to set the preload. Guess this is one of the plus's to runing a 9". It's easy to take the pieces parts to a shop to do the work.

Anybody close to Dayton need some beer for a few minutes use of thier dial torque wrench?

Comment

If I was closer I'd help you. Try autozone or one of the autoparts stores near you they might have one they loan/ rent out.

Comment

Setting the preload on a pinion can be done by feel if you have done enough of em. Besides if this is for wheeling I would worry more about changing the fluid all the time to keep all the water & dirt out of bearings & R & P if you don't break the gears first. I'm located in hamilton if you want to send me a PM and swing by I will set for ya.
          No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

By deflection torque wrench, you mean the kind with the long pointer that points at a "scale"? If so then that's exactly what you're supposed to use.

The dial torque wrenches are stupid anyways... on the ones that record the "high" reading the function is useless because the torque will peak higher initially to get it moving before you get the actual rotating torque.

This is the one that I use, works great.

http://completeoffroad.com/i-122849-...ch-tlsm10.html

I'm in West Carrollton if you want to bring it over and I'll help you set the preload.

Comment

deflection the ones that click, that same as i use, gotta hav 1 where u can see dial to see what u rotating, and you look at average when it spinning, not starting torque
              SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Originally posted by flatlander757 View Post
                By deflection torque wrench, you mean the kind with the long pointer that points at a "scale"? If so then that's exactly what you're supposed to use.

The dial torque wrenches are stupid anyways... on the ones that record the "high" reading the function is useless because the torque will peak higher initially to get it moving before you get the actual rotating torque.

This is the one that I use, works great.

http://completeoffroad.com/i-122849-...ch-tlsm10.html

I'm in West Carrollton if you want to bring it over and I'll help you set the preload.

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I'll get ahold of you after work today. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X