u-joint question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• u-joint question

I'm replacing the front axle u joints in my xj.
    In the past, I've never been a fan of greaseable, but that's always been in my trucks that never got that dirty.
    Crossing creeks and stuff in my xj has me wondering if I should use the greaseable style.
    Any opinions?

IMO, greasable joints are weaker than non-greasable because they are drilled so the grease can get to the caps/roller bearings.
    One Country, One Flag, One Language...
    LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

Not just his opinion, that's a fact.

Sealed (non greasable) is the way to go.

Robert
      DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
      Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Non-greasable (solid) u-joints are stronger than greasable (drilled), but it is a very, very small amount (assuming all else is equal). When you drill the small grease channel in the middle of the round cross-sectional area you simply don't decrease the strength of the part that much. Same calculations for determining the strength of tubing. If you have 1" tubing and go from .125" wall to .250" wall you have doubled the wall thickness (increase by 100%), however the strength only increased by around 35%. In the u-joint the equivalent wall thickness between a greasable and non-greasable is probably only around 15% different which would equate to maybe a 5% difference in strength. 5% is 5% but in the real world if you broke a greasable u-joint on the trail there is a good chance you would have broken the non-greasable version in the same situation.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm going to get non greaseables.

Comment

I'd go greasable and put a shot of grease in them everytime you go on a ride. The joint is more likely to fail from contamination than the slight decrease in crossectional strength.
            Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

Makes sense to me with a near stock driveline.

Comment

Originally posted by Drivermod View Post
                I'd go greasable and put a shot of grease in them everytime you go on a ride. The joint is more likely to fail from contamination than the slight decrease in crossectional strength.
                I totally agree
                No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

Non grease able for sure ... They r stronger ... And who in the heck actually greases u joints on regular basis anyways? Lol
                  S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Originally posted by humpy View Post
                    Who in the heck actually greases u joints on regular basis anyways? Lol
                    I check and grease all joints before every trip, that way you can find any other problems before your trip (Don't Mean the night before or day leaving for trip) I prefer to not find out on the trail what U-joint should have been replaced before I left.

But I agree not many people look over their rigs... Lol
                    No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

I'll buy one of each.

Comment

Originally posted by Runoveru2 View Post
                        I check and grease all joints before every trip, that way you can find any other problems before your trip (Don't Mean the night before or day leaving for trip) I prefer to not find out on the trail what U-joint should have been replaced before I left.

But I agree not many people look over their rigs... Lol
                        Knock on wood I have never had a u joint fail... Always ran yota stuff tho... Broke bout 9 birfields one year but that wasn't lack of grease issues lol
                        S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Originally posted by bootlegger View Post
                          I'll buy one of each.
                          I like that idea. beat it to death with whatever maintenance you care to do and report back on the results. I personally cant speak on the true structure of each but I have had a greasable on give up on me and eat the ears on one of my front axles so I switched to non and been good for a while. just my experience
                          One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Flxratd View Post
                            I like that idea. beat it to death with whatever maintenance you care to do and report back on the results. I personally cant speak on the true structure of each but I have had a greasable on give up on me and eat the ears on one of my front axles so I switched to non and been good for a while. just my experience
                            You better switch back to greasable! The non greasable ones will be seized up from sitting!
                            One Country, One Flag, One Language...
                            LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

Originally posted by biggin69 View Post
                              You better switch back to greasable! The non greasable ones will be seized up from sitting!
                              I deserve that I guess since yours is mobile now.....
                              One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Working...
                              X