Cracked trans case - Honda Odyssey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cracked trans case - Honda Odyssey

Wife was out last night with her friends and called me saying there was a puddle of red fluid under her '07 Honday Odyssey. Had her drive it the 15 minutes home and when she got home casually mentioned running over something on the freeway but didn't seem like a big deal. After looking at it she hit something pretty substantial to the point it put a hairline crack in the trans case and dented the box tubing of the crossmember, including destroying the plastic bottom cover.

There is a hairline crack about 1/2" long that is leaking fluid on the cast aluminum case. My first thought was to try to seal up this crack. What is everybody's recommendations for this?

Planning on draining the fluid to stop the leak, clean up the area and probably run a die grinder or dremel over the crack and rough up the surrounding area, then some sort of epoxy or sealant. JB Weld, silicone based sealer, epoxy, or ?????

How bout puttin a new case in ? Is that an option ? If this thing starts leakin because a repair like that failed and it's Rollin down the highway.. Bearing could get hot and seize cause lack of fluid and cause your wife to have a wreck at high speed... I wouldn't do it I would put a new case in it... But that's just me
    S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

If you going to put a new case in it might as well just get a complete used trans and bolt it in. Probably be cheaper in the long run versus paying $300-$400 for the case and the cost to basically have a shop do a complete rebuild on the trans.

Last night I put a piece of cardboard under it and this morning I would estimate there were a couple of ounces of fluid dripped on it. A little trans fluid makes a good size puddle...recently spilled about a 1/2 quart on the garage floor and it made a puddle about 4' around.

Comment

I have seen a lot of attempted repairs for what you are describing with very little success.. atf is so thin it will find its way out.. I have to agree with fixing it right as to not leave the wife at best on the side of the road..
        One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

If it was my daily driver I might would try a repair but the family truckster is a different story .... Fix it right in my opinion

Comment

weld it up!
            sigpic

Comment

Tig it?
              real trucks dont have spark plugs

Comment

Originally posted by Flxratd View Post
                I have seen a lot of attempted repairs for what you are describing with very little success.. atf is so thin it will find its way out.. I have to agree with fixing it right as to not leave the wife at best on the side of the road..
                What is you recommendation as the right way to fix it?

Is the biggest concern about the repair just that it will start leaking again?

We just received the last statement on the thing that said we had a total of $129 remaining before it was paid off...was excited to be 100% car payment free for the first time in 15 years.

Comment

Isn't it always when you pay something off is when it hits the fan... Having come from a 19 year background with Honda/Acura I have seen everything from casting flaws to cracks and the "incar" repair was almost always a failure. You can never seem to get the spot clean enough to get a repair (even drained) since the fluid never seems to quit weeping where you are trying to seal. Used Honda transmissions are a bit of a challenge to get ahold of also since they unfortunately had a large failure rate(not so much by 07). If all is well with the internals of the trans I would seriously entertain replacing the case half. It will cost more than j/b weld or such but you will know its done and done right.

Im not saying in the same situation I wouldn't at least want to try a quick fix myself but I think it will come back to haunt...

My 02cents with a bit of past experience to go with it..
                  One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

I'm sure this was on a state route. If so report it to the local DOT. It is there responsibility to keep the road ways clean and clear of debris. File a report for documentation turn claim into them for the repair. They are also responsible for pot holes that will take out your front end. They have to be fixed within a set amount of time after being reported.

Comment

So make our tax dollars pay because his wife hit something in the road that the DOT didnt leave there?

Brad clean it like you mentioned. run a grinding wheel across the crack so that you put a V in there to adhere to. Then use some sort of JB like stuff ( do a review on line for what works best for ATF vs aluminum applications) and go with it. I am sure that if your wife noticed the leak and you know about the repair you will both think to glance under it once in awhile to see if its leaking. If it fails after a short period of time start thinking about replacing it. Or call the insurance company say you hit something in the road, pay the deductible and have them fix it. Thats why you have insurance, and since you still owe on it I assume it has atleast comprehensive.
                      www.offroadohio.com
                      www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
                      www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
                      www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

I see it every day it's not your tax dollars it's everybody that buys gas within the state of Ohio. It's federal and gas tax not your state tax that takes care of the roadways. And yes . It is there job yo patrol and remove any and all items on our roadways same responsibility as the State patrol if you are out there doing your job it would not be there.

Comment

Originally posted by yozuki View Post
                          ...it's not your tax dollars it's everybody that buys gas within the state of Ohio. It's federal and gas tax not your state tax...
                          Did that make sense in your head before you typed it?
                          DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                          Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                            Did that make sense in your head before you typed it?
                            Lmao at least somebody said it

Comment

Isn't that Yobama's motto. Just make the other guy pay for it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	V__AD29.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	71378

Comment

Working...
                              X