X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Mountain (aka Harlan) Permit Fee System

Just got this and wanted to pass it along to everyone:

To All Visitors:

It is the goal of the Harlan County Outdoor Recreation Board Authority to provide our visitors with the best possible off-road destination in Eastern Kentucky. While the Black Mountain Off-Road Adventure Area has many local supporters who help make it what it is, necessary funds are vital for its growth and development.

A permit fee system has been enacted to ride on Black Mountain Off-Road Adventure Area. This permit system will grant the funds necessary for maintenance of the park, security, enhancement of existing trails, fund new trails and necessary projects for the improvement of the park.

Permits can be purchased yearly or monthly and are sold per vehicle. A yearly pass can be purchased at $35.00 or a 31 day pass can be purchased for $20.00 per vehicle.

Owners of multiple vehicles can purchase one pass for up to three vehicles. All the vehicles will be listed in our database. However, the purchaser will only be allowed one vehicle on the park at a time. The permit will be changed to the vehicle in use for that day. The yearly permit will be at cost of $40.00 or the 31 day permit can be purchased at a cost of $25.00. The permit could not be permanently fixed to any vehicle since only one permit would be given.

Family permits will also be available for purchase. These permits are for owners of several vehicles that would use more than one vehicle on the park at a time. This would be considered a family situation. Each vehicle would receive a sticker and I.D. The cost of the first vehicle would be $35.00, the second would be $30.00, the third and all others would be $20.00. There will be no family permits for 31 days.

Permits are available now at the Harlan Tourism Office, Buddies Chevron in Evarts, and Harlan County Campground in Putney. They will also be available on our website www.harlancountytrails.com soon. For more information on any of the permits listed above, please contact the board secretary, Susan Haught at 606-573-4495 or you can email her at shaught@harlanonline.net.

Thank you for your support and for making Black Mountain Off-road Adventure Area among the top 10 off-road destinations in the U.S.

Sincerely,
    Michael King
    President
    I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

hmmmm drive 6 hours , pay $20 or $35 to wheel :mad: .

I think I'll just continue to ride at 909 and the Bridge ( free ) until they shut them down and then I guess I'll just sell the rig and start drag racing again.

Comment

6 hours? Must be one of those epic CORE convoys... trailers losing wheels, breaking leaf springs, etc... hahahah.

I can get to harlan in 3 hours, worth the yearly fee to me, even if i don't wheel there... it's a place worth paying to keep it open. when my rig is done (4 more years) it will definitely be my stomping grounds.

But, can't wait to hit the 909 again with ya sarge...

Comment

Im with Carwash on that one $35 bucks a year is cheap even if you don't go. Id rather pay them than give it to a club that does nothing for the future!

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

Comments from two guys that haven't wheeled in how long ????
          Just saying that for one trip a year ( what I normally do ) I'm not pleased with having to pay. I would rather go to somewhere that I do not have to pay . I like Harlen , however , it is not for a rig set up like mine . I'm not going to drive all the way down there ( yes Carwash, It normally takes me that long in the RV ) and drive around on gravel roads or bunny trails and watch other big rigs wheel in the rocks. Some might call that a good time .. Not I !
          I do not have the extra money to put my rig on tons and get a new set of tires just to go to Harlen . Great place, but too big for me !
          I'll continue to give my money to the local stores around 909 and the Bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by sarge View Post
            Comments from two guys that haven't wheeled in how long ????
            Just saying that for one trip a year ( what I normally do ) I'm not pleased with having to pay. I would rather go to somewhere that I do not have to pay . I like Harlen , however , it is not for a rig set up like mine . I'm not going to drive all the way down there ( yes Carwash, It normally takes me that long in the RV ) and drive around on gravel roads or bunny trails and watch other big rigs wheel in the rocks. Some might call that a good time .. Not I !
            I do not have the extra money to put my rig on tons and get a new set of tires just to go to Harlen . Great place, but too big for me !
            I'll continue to give my money to the local stores around 909 and the Bridge.

Ha! Well I still went out and shared a friends jeep. I was only down 1 season. Im back this season :p

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

i understand that sarge. i guess what i mean is that it's good to support the area. tellico is now closed, 909 is gone(for the most part), slade will probably fall closely behind, is it was all public land. The only places that are gonna be left are the private pay to play parks... sad but true i think.

Comment

sucks to pay, but hell, add up your haspin and attica bill, where else can you wheel as much as you want for $35 and not have to worry about it being closed next month? i'll happily pay for that.
                zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, I'll pay it if I have to ! and I agree that it is a good thing , but I'm still going to ***** about it. It's kinda like $4.00/gal gas ..... and the fact the we americans bring on the suck ! You figure $35.00 a rig x 1000 = 35K . What are they going to do for 35k on the mountain? It just sounds like someone is making some $$$ at our expense.

Comment

Originally posted by sarge View Post
                    Don't get me wrong, I'll pay it if I have to ! and I agree that it is a good thing , but I'm still going to ***** about it. It's kinda like $4.00/gal gas ..... and the fact the we americans bring on the suck ! You figure $35.00 a rig x 1000 = 35K . What are they going to do for 35k on the mountain? It just sounds like someone is making some $$$ at our expense.
                    as i understand it from ken cryder, the park is getting ready to sign a 25 year lease to the mountain crawlers. they are in the process of getting some grant money which has to be matched therefore the fee to ride. they are also planning on buiulding some rental cabins up on the mountain in certain places so there again the need for the fee. no one certain person is making money as it all goes into the park fund. it does cost money to maintain/ open new trails and they will have to pay people (probably off duty police officers) to patrol the park for permits and whatnot. i would almost certainly bet you have 35.00 worth of stuff you don't even use anymore that you could sell to offset the cost to ride one of the only parks that is certain to be left open for quite some time.
                    not trying to start anything here just stating a few facts. no offense meant.
                    95 yj, fresh fuel injected 302, c-6, twin sticked 205, 3 linked high pinion d60 front, double trianulated 4 linked 14 bolt rear (all aluminum links) locked both ends, 4:56 gears, full hydro steering, high steer, 4 wheel discs, 16" 2.5 fox air shocks, 39.5" irok's. just finishing a full frame-up redo thanks to a great friend and one knowledgable(sp?) s.o.b casey cravens for without him this could not have been done in such a short time and done right!

LOOK OUT "WHITEY" HERE I COME!!!

Comment

I am willing to pay and would hope to see other closed areas possibly be able to see the benifits and re-open in the future. As long as fellow wheelers continue to help out with the land, environment and community we will make a positive impact on others. Go CORE!
                      sigpic

Comment

They should pull big coin in .... seeing as Tellico just closed .

If me paying $35 a year helps keep that place open and lets them sign a long term deal then I'm all for it. I'm also not wealthy and don't have cash to burn but I chose this hobby knowing it has costs associated with it... me paying to play on someone else's property isn't the end of the world.

Where do you still legally ride at 909? I still know guys that go down to Livingston and trespass and put a black eye on the sport we all love.The reason we will eventually have to pay-to-play every where we go is the abuse of the legal public riding ares or people that ride illegally and think if they don't get caught there was no crime committed.

Jeff

Comment

909 is the same as the Bridge , Lic. and Ins. is all that is required . The only place that I know of that is off limits is pink rock and the areas off to the side of the main trail in the front section towards the 49er. Until I here other wise I will continue to give the sport a black eye , as you put it ! as if the ATV riders don't do it daily ..... Just like at the bridge last week end

Comment

Originally posted by boomhauer View Post
                            as i understand it from ken cryder, the park is getting ready to sign a 25 year lease to the mountain crawlers. they are in the process of getting some grant money which has to be matched therefore the fee to ride. they are also planning on buiulding some rental cabins up on the mountain in certain places so there again the need for the fee. no one certain person is making money as it all goes into the park fund. it does cost money to maintain/ open new trails and they will have to pay people (probably off duty police officers) to patrol the park for permits and whatnot. i would almost certainly bet you have 35.00 worth of stuff you don't even use anymore that you could sell to offset the cost to ride one of the only parks that is certain to be left open for quite some time.
                            not trying to start anything here just stating a few facts. no offense meant.
                            exactly.
                            zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Diddnt they grade all the main roads (which is the only legal riding area) at 909?

Thats what the pics show here

http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/boone/recreation/cromer.shtml
                              88 4Runner, 350 V8 swap in progress

http://staff.4x4wire.com/adamf

Comment

Working...
                              X