Why a club?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a club?

Not the 'hit me with a' kind...but interest type club. What do you look for in a club to become a paid member? Why do you join? I'm curious (and bored out of my freakin mind waiting at the hospital for my mom)....

Is it trail runs? Is it networking/meeting new people? Food at meetings? Causes that the club is active in? Other things...meaning tell me...please.
    I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Originally posted by tjjeepjeep View Post
    Not the 'hit me with a' kind...but interest type club. What do you look for in a club to become a paid member? Why do you join? I'm curious (and bored out of my freakin mind waiting at the hospital for my mom)....

Is it trail runs? Is it networking/meeting new people? Food at meetings? Causes that the club is active in? Other things...meaning tell me...please.
    All of the above. Learn a little, give a little and have some fun with others who share the same interests.
    sigpic

Comment

For me, it's nice to hang out with like-minded people that share a common interest. When it comes to clubs, I tend to look for activity-driven clubs as opposed to vehicle or name brand specific clubs. Granted it's nice to be in a Jeep, Toyota, or Samurai club for technical stuff, but for the most part, I enjoy getting out on trails with a diverse bunch of folks. It was the same as when I was into drag racing. I belonged to clubs that didn't really matter what you drove, as long as you were into the hobby as a whole.

Another thing I like about clubs is the camaraderie and assistance they provide. Being in a club makes it more likely that someone will come by to give you a hand with a project, or if you break, they'll be willing to come and get you. I've been in situations where I've had club members drive a couple hours to help me out.

Besides, there's strength in numbers and 100 people speaking out about an issue is much better than 1 or 2.

Comment

I'm not sure anymore, I'm really not into beating the **** out of me and my Jeep. I get beat at full throttle all day long at work, so I want to relax and enjoy the scenery. I guess this is why my daughter and I go out alone ( I know). I would like to find a group to camp, trail ride and fish with.
        Trails fro the Jeep are getting further, I'm getting older and I found a place to ride the Polaris about 45 minutes from the house.

Comment

im looking for people to ride with ,to learn and have fun. just to hang. im new at this so i need all the help i can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigger View Post
            For me, it's nice to hang out with like-minded people that share a common interest. When it comes to clubs, I tend to look for activity-driven clubs as opposed to vehicle or name brand specific clubs. Granted it's nice to be in a Jeep, Toyota, or Samurai club for technical stuff, but for the most part, I enjoy getting out on trails with a diverse bunch of folks. It was the same as when I was into drag racing. I belonged to clubs that didn't really matter what you drove, as long as you were into the hobby as a whole.

Another thing I like about clubs is the camaraderie and assistance they provide. Being in a club makes it more likely that someone will come by to give you a hand with a project, or if you break, they'll be willing to come and get you. I've been in situations where I've had club members drive a couple hours to help me out.

Besides, there's strength in numbers and 100 people speaking out about an issue is much better than 1 or 2.
            I have a lot of good times over the years with the folks i have met through clubs. I am a memeber of a brand specific club that has members world wide, and it is cool to see what people are doing in other parts of the world. I have also been a member of non specific club also, which was great too.

It has always been great resource for info, parts, and of course a strong back when needed. I also enjoy giving a helping hand if some one needs one. You just can't find the experience and wisdom anywhere else that you find through people with like minded interests.

I have been wheelin all over US and Canda once too, even a short clip on "Real TV", and i would have never had these experiences if i hadn't got involved in the club scene. Have met people from all walks of life and professions, from orthopedic Dr to a chef/cook/carpenter/builder like myself.

sigpic
            chris hodges
            96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
            71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

Originally posted by GPER View Post
              I'm not sure anymore, I'm really not into beating the **** out of me and my Jeep. I get beat at full throttle all day long at work, so I want to relax and enjoy the scenery. I guess this is why my daughter and I go out alone ( I know). I would like to find a group to camp, trail ride and fish with.
              Trails fro the Jeep are getting further, I'm getting older and I found a place to ride the Polaris about 45 minutes from the house.

I feel the same way as you do. I like to hammer down every now and then, but most of the time I like to enjoy the scenery and be with people I get along with. Plus, I have to drive my truck back home :)
              88 4Runner, 350 V8 swap in progress

http://staff.4x4wire.com/adamf

Comment

For me it's the people and the friendship. The Jeepin/offroadin is always fun but I have always had as much or more fun around the campfires with all my friends!

Comment

Clubs are to off-roaders as churches are to Christians. Some people feel they need them to be able to participate in the activities involved.

Clubs can be a great thing, to a certain point. Clubs are great for meeting new people, learning some tech information, picking the brains of fellow members, etc. But, when clubs start to tell you when/where you can/can't wheel, what you can/can't do on a wheeling trip, etc, that's when they are no good. A lot of clubs start to overstep their bounds and try to put labels and stipulations on you as a wheeler and your actions.

Everyone looks for something different in a club, and it's near impossible to please all of them. I look for comaraderie and escape from day-to-day life in general, as well as adrenaline rush from wheeling... I don't "need" a club for that. Just like a person doesn't need a church to pray to a god, but they still go, for a lot of reasons.

I have been involved with various clubs through the years, and have gotten out of them what I wanted, and moved on when they didn't suit my needs anymore. Some might say this is shallow, I don't think so. It makes perfect sense to me. Sometimes things don't fit you anymore after a while and you have to move on. Maybe you come back to them later, who knows.

If you are a complete nooob to offroading and need to learn the tricks and tips of trail running, fixing, modifying, etc.. then clubs are a perfect answer.

If you are a very patient experienced wheeler who enjoys leisurely trail rides and helping others, then a club is perfect for you as well.

If you are an extreme throttle jockey who loves to race around from obstacle to obstacle and climb crap in a hurry while not wanting to wait around for someone behind you etc, then a club is NOT for you.

So, clubs are great for some, and awful for others I guess. There are a 100 different types of wheelers out there, and probably a 100 clubs you can join.

Comment

I think Mike's post about nailed it for me..

I belonged to an off road club over 15 years and I joined for one reason..they had property to ride on. I grew into good friends with many of them and still am to this day.. but I don't ride with them anymore. I'm one that's never satisfied unless I'm being challenged buy the most extreme terrain I can afford to build a rig for. Most of the guys I use to ride with weren't willing to beat there suff like it owed them money.

And thanks to jackass's like Carwash and kirbyiv I'm pumped about building a rig that meets (or exceeds..) my fun-to-wallet balancing act.

Jeff

Comment

What axles you gonna be runnin Jeff
                      For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
                        What axles you gonna be runnin Jeff
                        A Chevy drop D60 in front and a D70 out back. Both with Detroit's & 4:56 .. rear has cromo Yukon axles..front has Alloys cromo's and Longfield 300M joints.

I'm currently trying to trade the front axle/joint combo off so I can run the RCV CV axles.

My toy funds are little low as I just pulled the trigger on ORI struts and a 3.8 Atlas.

Comment

Yea...sounds a little pricey.
                          cool none the less
                          For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

Could not agree more about Mike's comments. People and clubs change overtime, it is what makes us unique.

Wheelin with like minded people is awesome, finding like minded people with the same wheelin courage is another thing and rare.

Being in the woods around a camp fire where everyone can get along is Priceless!
                            sigpic

Keep them on all 4's

Comment

All valid reasons; and nice to know that whatever the reason...the underlying theme is the same. People and wheelin.
                              I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

Working...
                              X