The right lift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The right lift?

Hey guys I have a Wrangle with new 31/10.5 Goodyear Wrangler MT/R.. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a lift and want some advise as to the right lift for my jeep and me..

I'm hearing Rough Country is the best brand?
    I'm thinking of their 3.25" spring & shock combo?
    Also looked at their 4" spring,shock,link,& control arm combo?
    Is the 4" lift too high and will it reduce comfort or drivability?
    Will the 31" tires look small if I use the 4" lift?
    Is the 3.25" lift enough?

I wheel the jeep on occasion.. Now that I have bought the tires I want I'm going to wheel it more the lift will complete the deal.. We also use this vehicle to drive every day so I want to keep it as streetable as possible..

Not sure who told you that Rough Country is the best brand because the consensus is that it has "rough" in the name for a reason.

Adding a lift will not help you wheel any better. You're still going to have the same clearance regardless of whether you raise the Jeep 3 inches or 10 inches. The primary use of a lift is to allow you to run bigger tires so you can get more clearance. Adding a lift is only going to raise or center of gravity.

Personally, I would run it with the stock suspension and see how it does. You'll be surprised how much better it goes with a more aggressive tire.

Comment

4" lift with 31" tires? Yep, it'll look goofy. Have fun with 31's and no lift, save up for the lift and tires at the same time.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.. Im stil wanting to lift it up a couple inched to keep my tires from rubbing.. They rub pretty bad when I turn.. Can anyone recommend the right lift to remedy this?

Comment

everyone will have there own opinion on this subject. i have used almost all of rough countrys stuff and only had a couple of there 2.2 shocks leak which they warranteed quickly. i have a 6" long arm kit on my 05 lj and i think its very good and rides nice. they are not the most expensive but i think very good for the money and still in business.
          One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

U could sawzall out the body ;) probably wont earn u style points, but would free up the money ud put into a lift, then u could add f&r lockers..... And chrome windsheild hinges(to earn back those style points)..
            You dident mention the year or condition ofthe wrangler
            my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

It's a 2000 has a few dings on it but I still wash it.. Ha ha. That's how I draw the line on wether it's a nice car or not.. If I'd still wash it.. Paint is still shiny and never wrecked.. I want to put up a pic of it but I haven't been savvy enough to do so from my phone..

Comment

i just put a pic of my jeep on my profile

Comment

aftermarket wheels = no rub.
                  www.offroadohio.com
                  www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
                  www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
                  www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

id skip on the lift and see how it does without. Im running 33 12.5 with no lift on mine. took a cutoff wheel to the fenders and good to go. slight rub when near full lock but wheelspacers will take care of that.
                    1989 ext cab yota 22re bored .20 over trd cam, trd headers, Marlin crawler front bumper w/stinger, Marlin crawler roll cage, trailgear rear bumper, trailgear rock sliders, richmond 5.29's, and lockright rear, 33 nokian mt's. 10k winch. Rear disc conversion. Chromoly rear axle shafts. Bombproof motor mounts and transfer case mount. Whole lot of rust and scratches.

Comment

If it's a TJ just get a set of coil spring spacers for a couple inches of lift. We have had several TJ's in our club with the stock suspension with spacers and never have seen they have a problem with the kit. Several then add small body lifts down the road if they want bigger tires. To be perfectly honest I could never notice any obvious performance difference from watching them on the trail between the $100 lift and the $1,000 long-arm lifts. This were all rather mild rigs (33's, stock axles with lockers).

Comment

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
                        If it's a TJ just get a set of coil spring spacers for a couple inches of lift. We have had several TJ's in our club with the stock suspension with spacers and never have seen they have a problem with the kit. Several then add small body lifts down the road if they want bigger tires. To be perfectly honest I could never notice any obvious performance difference from watching them on the trail between the $100 lift and the $1,000 long-arm lifts. This were all rather mild rigs (33's, stock axles with lockers).
                        This is the basic setup I had on my Rubicon and I never had any problems wheeling it. I had a budget boost and honest to God, it had hockey pucks for a body lift. I was running 33s and had lockers.

That brings up another point. I would invest in a locker before I spent money on a lift. Getting rid of the one wheel peel will do wonders. Oh, and before you ask, there are so many different lockers out there that it's really difficult to pick the best one. It all depends on budget, application, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by android View Post
                          Thanks for the info guys.. Im stil wanting to lift it up a couple inched to keep my tires from rubbing.. They rub pretty bad when I turn.. Can anyone recommend the right lift to remedy this?
                          I think the problem is that your tires are rubbing on your control arms when you turn all the way to the right or left. You dont really need a lift-kit to fix this. There are a few different ways to take care of it, but the easiest thing to do is adjust your steering stops. Here's a write-up to explain how it's done, along with some pictures:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html
                          2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport

Comment

Working...
                          X