tj rear leaf conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tj rear leaf conversion

So I've been kicking this idea around for a while, and been searching all kinds of forums. Does anyone here have any experience using leafs on their tj? I don't run a front sway bar so she leans pretty good off camber, and the rear leafs are supposed to help that. Just trying to get all the facts. A small rear stretch wouldn't be horrible either
    If you don't want it broke, don't let me drive it....

Leafs will still unload, just not as much as coils. Have you thought about slapping a Currie Antirock on the front?
    One Country, One Flag, One Language...
    LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

I don't really mind no front sway bar. I just don't like how far it leans over. Those swaybars are so expensive. I've read a lot of guys like how stable it makes them.....?

Comment

antirock bar be only a fraction of the $ of a rear leaf conversion...just sayin..

but a couple years ago I read some reviews of a tj rear leaf kit and it was very positive iirc
        my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

id go antirock b4 i ever even considerd leaf springs!
          SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Well my thought was..... long arm the front and leaf the rear to eliminate the 4" short arm I have now. I just need it to behave better off-road. I got a HP30 for the front, so I was planning to just get a front radius arm kit and do something different in the back

Comment

Question; can you run just a front antirock and take the rear sway bar off?

Comment

i alway ran just antirock on rear and non in front, so i would think it help out greatly no matter the placement. to me leaf springs are moving backwards performance wise
                SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket View Post
                  antirock bar be only a fraction of the $ of a rear leaf conversion...just sayin..

but a couple years ago I read some reviews of a tj rear leaf kit and it was very positive iirc
                  Ed Zackery my point.

Originally posted by tjrider View Post
                  Well my thought was..... long arm the front and leaf the rear to eliminate the 4" short arm I have now. I just need it to behave better off-road. I got a HP30 for the front, so I was planning to just get a front radius arm kit and do something different in the back
                  You could probably 4 link the rear for around the same as doing a leaf conversion.
                  Question; can you run just a front antirock and take the rear sway bar off?
                  Absolutly! I am pretty sure the make a tj specific kit.
                  LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

The 8.8 is 4 linked already. Just wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the rear short arms. I'd rather build a kit than buy one. I was planning on using used DJ springs then just buy brackets

Comment

The 8.8 is 4 linked already. Just wasn't sure what I wanted to do with the rear short arms. I'd rather build a kit than buy one. I was planning on using used DJ springs then just buy brackets
                      Sounds like you have it all figured out. You will save some $$$ doing it yourself. Plenty of places offer coil brackets. Hell you could even stretch the rear if you wanted.
                      LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

guy on here, i thin he is Flatlander757 or something like that, has a TJ with 3 link front and uses rear XJ leaves on his TJ. i'd PM him and see what he has to say.
                        beat up rusted out k5

Comment

yeah instead of link suspension , id go leaves and revolver shackles, that b badass getup!
                          SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

I did it with Old Man Emu XJ leaves.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=768019

If you decide to do it, but good leaves from the start. It rides so much better with these leaves it's silly. Flexes plenty well too.

That said, if you can swing it then go 4-link with coils and shocks w/ an anti-roll bar.

My Jeep will be getting torn down some time in the near future to cut the tub in half and redo everything basically. Downsizing to 37s or 38s, Toyota Landcruiser axles, trying to drop it down to around 3000lbs, etc etc. I'm going to be 4 linking the rear, probably another 3-link up front this time too though but with coilovers hopefully at all 4 corners but we'll see....

Point being if you plan on doing this, I may have my entire setup for you to buy off of me, bumper, leaves and all.

This is the closest to a sidehill pic I've got:

Roughly 12" of stretch, here's a pic to get an idea of the overhang in the rear. With the new leaves it's a bit of a better angle though(replaced because my bastards packs blew ass).

Comment

jeep made the stretched military tjs for the egyption army with leaves in the rear..so there is a profesional engineer that sees the benifit as well
                              my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

Working...
                              X