Concealed carry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concealed carry

Looking to get one. Not sure the details on getting one. Anybody know somebody that does them cheap. Why is Ohio only good for a few states but other states are good for more.
    Jon

If you do a certain "add-on" like Virginia or Florida or something it covers tllike 48 states, sarge would know more im sure. I have a ruger SR9C, with an in the hip holster and I like it, but don't carry it for ccw( don't have yet).

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

Comment

Originally posted by Red Dog View Post
      Looking to get one. Not sure the details on getting one. Anybody know somebody that does them cheap. Why is Ohio only good for a few states but other states are good for more.
      it all has to do with what OH CCDW classes entail and how its laws compare to other states laws.

I know more about KY than OH but i know KY is good in many states but it has a fairly intense process to get it. required class, shooting test, written test. full background check etc. where as in IN, it is good in very few states but it just requires you to fill out a form at the court house. no written or shooting test required. but i don't know anyone who has an OH CCDW license, but there are a few places down here that do the ohio classes.
      beat up rusted out k5

Comment

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/tra...r&utm_content=

The wife and I took our class from Thomas Appel in Bellbrook, OH. the class was 65 bucks for each of us and the permit was 70 bucks with them taking our picture.

Comment

Sounds like KY and Ohio courses are nearly equivalent.
          Ohio has training, practical performance, and written exam. Then you go for your background check and finger printing.

Check at a few gun shops for names of instructors. I can find the guys that I took class from if you want (WestChester PO and Butler county Sheriff's Deputy)

Link for Legal info
          http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/e...oncealed-carry

Reciprocity with other states depends on other states laws and the politics of the attorney general relationships.
          1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
          FJ 40 axles (4.10)
          5.14 tcase
          36" TSL SX

Comment

There is a very good course here in Preble County. It's a one day course. It was held at the Fair grounds in Eaton. Instructors name is Ray Ross. You can get either the Ohio or Florida license.
            Willys buggy 4.3, 350 trans, toy axles, linked suspension, air shocks

Comment

I went through a friend of mine., John Sonns, who is a Butler Count Sheriff Lieutenant. He charges &125 I believe. Sounds a little high but I would recommend him because he is an officer of the law and knows the law. I can get his contact info if you wish.
              One Country, One Flag, One Language...
              LIKE IT OR LEAVE IT!!!

Comment

Jon ,I chose Tom Wood in Miamitown..http://woodhilltraining.com/

He's been around since the beginning of CCW (2004) and I went back in 2010 to get my renewal.He and his crew do a top notch job.He can explain the different state requirements and has put together the info to apply.The law seems to change on a regular basis.So,I recommend checking out his web stite and giving him a call.

Nick
                Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
                Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Originally posted by Coppertop View Post

He's been around since the beginning of CCW (2004) and I went back in 2010 to get my renewal.He and his crew do a top notch job.He can explain the different state requirements and has put together the info to apply.The law seems to change on a regular basis.So,I recommend checking out his web stite and giving him a call.

Nick

Tom Wood is ex officer and has a good class.

Comment

Originally posted by Coppertop View Post

Nick
                    Is he strictly Ohio?
                    Jon

Comment

This link has some good information. It is a pro ccw website/forum. http://ohioccwforums.org/

I won't recommend the business I went through for class. It was ok, taught the NRA Basic Handgun course, but could have been better. It was not any of the instructors already recommended above.

John
                      sigpic1950 CJ3A. Oddfire 225 V6, T-86 transmission, Dana 18 transfer case, 4 wheel disc brakes, locked front and rear. Manual saginaw steering. Warn winch, 9,000#.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Dog View Post
                        Is he strictly Ohio?
                        I'm not sure.....When you get a chance give him a call.

Nick
                        Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
                        Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

I actually teach this course as well, although I doubt I will have another class until spring. One thing I would recommend, no matter who teaches your course: verify the laws yourself. Don't take anyone's word for everything....and that includes any police officer teaching it. If you ever follow CCW forums, you will find there are tons of cops who do NOT know the law. Those laws are also subject to change and the Ohio legislature is working to make things better for us by adding new laws and changing existing ones, so it is up to you to keep track of what is going on.

Ohio actually has reciprocity with quite a few states. As mentioned above, Ohio mainly does not honor CCW from states that do not require training that they feel is as "adequate" as ours. There are some non-resident licenses you can get after you have an Ohio and in some cases you can get a non-resident license and not get the Ohio one. I do NOT recommend that. It is the lazy approach and there are states out there that do not accept non-resident licenses even though they accept the state you got it from.

Comment

The wife and I went to the range today, tom was having his range time for his class when we were there. Looked like another full class of ten with several girls in the class. He does the 12 hour class on Sunday which worked out the best for us too.

Comment

FYI, if you're in Ohio and in the military, you don't need to take the course. Just show them your weapons qualification card and you can get a CCW. That said, my wife is wanting hers, so I'm going to take the class as well.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
                              X