Bad stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad stuff

The story. Pinion seal was leaking. Changed it and called the local Landcruiser guy for a torque spec on the pinion nut. Apparently 181ft/lb is too much. The pinion bearings are gone. The pinion got into the carrier and destroyed it to the point that it needs to be cut out. :banghead:
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Wow
    my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

I don't understand you're username???
      Just another three linked stretched '95 YJ on 38s with a bunch of stuff scattered on the garage floor.

Comment

dam that's ugly ... are the axles ok ?
        sigpic
        chris hodges
        96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
        71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

Originally posted by gothodgie View Post
          dam that's ugly ... are the axles ok ?
          They are but I hope I don't have to destroy them to get the third member out.

Comment

Your first indication shoulda been 181 ft/lb... I would think 80-100 woulda done it
            S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Yes but no. I found out it goes off of rotational torque with the pinion nut not being torqued more than 253 ft/lb.

Comment

If it's a crush sleeve setup we never use torque wrench.. Do it by feel never had a problem
                S10 with a few air shocks..

Comment

Wonder if you could put a 1/4 stick in there to help it fly out of there?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by humpy View Post
                    If it's a crush sleeve setup we never use torque wrench.. Do it by feel never had a problem
                    It is a crush sleeve. This was the first Toyota axle I have worked on. I had no idea called the local Landcruiser guy he said 181 ft/lb. I had no reason not to believe him. He has done good on everything else I have asked him.

Comment

i have always just hit them with the impact and was good...

sigpic
                      chris hodges
                      96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
                      71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

Give me a shout if you need some help.

Comment

Who knows. Maybe its coincidence. I was surprised at the massiveness of my shafts though. Thanks for the offer Andy. It should be back together Saturday.

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
                            I was surprised at the massiveness of my shafts though.
                            All men are

I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

toyota axles are larger than dana 60,s. by far !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X