Road legal SxS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JeffK5 View Post
    And that's illegal per the DOT. A tube chassis rail buggy doesn't retain the floor pan of the original VW so it's no longer a Beetle and it should be issued a builders title. You might get away with it ...until you run into the wrong cop.
    So a frame swap invalidates the VIN? Do you have a source for that?

I'm not doubting you, but that's about what I planned to do with my '46 Willys, and I'm curious if I'm going to run into trouble...
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

It is always best to call inspection station I think.

A frame has a vin now a days but does a 48 willies??? I'd say from a technical stand point if you swapped to a factory frame u would want the title for.your body and new frame and have them combined like I did with the chevette.

But I doubt ud ever have an issue unless u need to prove ownership.

I what do u do when you swap cabs from an 85 chevy to a other frame???? Same issue

sent on tapatalk
      www.offroadohio.com
      www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
      www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
      www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

I've swapped f150 cabs onto f350 and vise versa and unless you get cuaght at a random safety inspection or sell it out of state or try to make an insurance claim there'd be no issues..

sent on tapatalk
        www.offroadohio.com

Comment

I can tell.you I got stopped twice in the chevette. one cop called in to ask questions Becuase of the title status and the other just checked the vin to the registration
          www.offroadohio.com

Comment

Originally posted by Waffle
            Easy to get away with that one even though technically its illegal.
            Originally posted by offroadohio View Post
            I've swapped f150 cabs onto f350 and vise versa and unless you get cuaght at a random safety inspection or sell it out of state or try to make an insurance claim there'd be no issues.
            Yeah, I know anything is "okay" if you don't get caught.

I'm just not clear, exactly what is "illegal" to swap?

I swapped the engine in my XJ. If it has a VIN (I'm not sure it does) it now won't match the one on the body. Is that illegal?

Any more, I understand a Civic has a VIN on every fender. Changing one is illegal?

The frame is just another (major) part of the car. How is it, legally, any different from changing a spark plug?

I'm sure that, realistically, I'm worrying about nothing. A '46 doesn't even have a VIN. And assuming I can get it titled by the serial number before I start tearing into it, nobody will ever give a squirt after that.

I'm just curious why a frame swap would invalidate the VIN. At what point the car stops being what it was, and becomes homemade.

I always heard that the VIN tag and whatever it's riveted to should never be disturbed, and everything else was fair game. 'Course, I have exactly zero to back that up, either.

Comment

Originally posted by offroadohio View Post
              I can tell.you I got stopped twice in the chevette. one cop called in to ask questions Becuase of the title status and the other just checked the vin to the registration
              I'll be better off, because it will still look a lot like a CJ2A. I can see why your 'vette would raise an eyebrow.

Comment

I have a friend who has a street legal tube rail that was issued a builders title and I gave him a call about the requirements. He said that he needed DOT compliant head/brake/turn/tail lights .. DOT tires and horn and that was it. You need to ether wear goggles or run a windshield but there wasn't any specifications on what the windscreen needed to be made of or anything about wipers or safety glass. We where worried about some of the stuff we had heard was required..like..front brakes, emergency brake, wipers , safety front glass and DOT belts but when we built his buggy in '06 none of this stuff was necessary.

He passed the inspection and they issued him the title , he then had to weld a plate to the chassis and stamp the VIN on it . Then the license bureau verified the VIN and issued him registration and plates.

Now a tub or "dune" buggy retains the original VW pan and can be titled using the car you started with.

This is the stuff my buddy and I learned through the DOT registrars office..now that was almost ten years ago so things could have changed.

Comment

Dot windshield is required now. The goggle thing doesn't work.

Rest seems the same

sent on tapatalk
                  www.offroadohio.com

Comment

Cridersville ohio (just south of lima on 75) is very friendly towards inspecting golf carts and whatnot for street use. Call the bmw there and find out what you need. Everyone up this way gets everything inspected there.
                    zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Between the street legal sprint car, 4x4 'vette, dune buggys, and golf carts I have a hard time thinking you could not make a SxS legal on the street. But as mentioned maybe it is because of stupid red tape around the off-road title.

DOT windshields and wipers shouldn't be much of a trouble. Reference the sprint car I posted previously. Buying a flat piece of DOT approved glass and a hand operated wiper is no big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
                        Between the street legal sprint car, 4x4 'vette, dune buggys, and golf carts I have a hard time thinking you could not make a SxS legal on the street. But as mentioned maybe it is because of stupid red tape around the off-road title.

DOT windshields and wipers shouldn't be much of a trouble. Reference the sprint car I posted previously. Buying a flat piece of DOT approved glass and a hand operated wiper is no big deal.
                        You pretty much can make anything legal, it's just the way you go about it, get rid of any numbers on a razor or whatever you want and make sure it meets safety regulations, motorcycles don't have to have windshields nor do buggies, however you can be stopped for not wearing proper eyewear...... bottom line is you pretty much have to say that you made it all yourself, it would help getting rid of anything on it that refers to it as a razor....This has been done here in Ohio.
                        No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

Working...
                        X