Driveshaft builder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft builder

Looking for a driveshaft builder or someone that can make one out of 2 I have that would be straight enough for trails. Looking for cheap! Not Tom Woods or Cincy driveline. I thought someone knew of a guy who had a lathe that could spin them to make sure they were straight and weld them up. No balancing needed for a trail rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    sigpic

Keep them on all 4's

I've used B&T up in Milford. I remember that they were cheaper than Woods, but maybe not a lot.

Seemed like good work though.
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

No lathe needed. Cut the welds with a chop saw, cut to length, weld yoke back in. Use a striaght edge to get it striaght.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
      www.offroadohio.com
      www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
      www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
      www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

square tube.
        1976 CJ 5
        1984 CJ 7
        1993 K3500 GMC 6.5 TD

Comment

If you have a dial indicator you can make them easily. Once it is cut to length and and the yoke is pressed back in (make sure you have the u-joints aligned with each other at the ends), bolt it back into your rig. Have someone slowly rotate the tires while you watch the dial indicator. Get it running as close to true as possible. I usually get them within .010" and they run good even on the street. Then weld it up making sure to make small welds alternating around the tube so it doesn't pull too far to one side. I keep checking it with the indicator and weld at any high spots to pull them back.

Comment

Thats a great idea! I will do that..
            sigpic

Keep them on all 4's

Comment

The first one I made that way I took up to Cincinnati Powertrain in Sharonville to have them balance it. They laughed when I told them how I made it and said they would "fix it" for me. When they checked it out, they couldn't believe how straight it was. They didn't even have to balance it.

Comment

never put an indicator on one ive done, just an eyeball, only the one that I made in the woods wobbled any. it wobbled alot
                www.offroadohio.com
                www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
                www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
                www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

Originally posted by Ky Mudhunter View Post
                  If you have a dial indicator you can make them easily. Once it is cut to length and and the yoke is pressed back in (make sure you have the u-joints aligned with each other at the ends), bolt it back into your rig. Have someone slowly rotate the tires while you watch the dial indicator. Get it running as close to true as possible. I usually get them within .010" and they run good even on the street. Then weld it up making sure to make small welds alternating around the tube so it doesn't pull too far to one side. I keep checking it with the indicator and weld at any high spots to pull them back.
                  Very true I have done this myself, however I didn't break out the dial indicator, I tacked together as straight as i thought it was, jacked up the rig and put in gear,started up and watched in spin so I could eyeball the high spots, use the heat from the welder to your advantage to get straight, last 1 I put together this way you can start to feel a very slight vibration around 40 mph and doesn't really get any worse after. For a trail rig this is a perfect setup, if you want it for street I would advise drilling a small hole in shaft and adding a little oil with a rubber plug to find the balance.
                  No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

Working...
                  X