Road legal SxS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road legal SxS

Anybody consider it or know someone who's done it?

I know a bunch of guys that have street legal golf carts in the small town close to where I grew up. Also know a guy who has a street legal sprint car. If you can do those vehicles then I don't see any reason why you couldn't do a SxS.

Don't know all the specifics but the guy with the sprint car has a "windshield" with a wiper, all the lights, rearview mirror, and think he needed a parking brake. The pictures are on my other phone or I would post them.

Comment

I was driving over to my moms last night to plow snow and there where SxS's everywhere...none looked to be legal but it got me thinking. My 900 would be a blast to drive around but I would need to be legit as the cops we bust my a$$ for sure.

Comment

They can be made legal easily. Add turnsignals, horn and dot approved windshield and have them inspected. or just buy a orion reeper they come legal from china.

http://oreionmotors.com/reeper

sent on tapatalk
        www.offroadohio.com
        www.facebook.com/offroadohio1
        www.youtube.com/offroadohio1
        www.photobucket.com/offroadohio

Comment

I think some states allow it. I've read on the rzr forums that people have done this. It depends on the state, and county. Some people have found loopholes that allow them to drive on the road. The most consistent thing I read was not going over 25 mph.

Comment

also need dot tires, atleast while it being inspected.
            SMITH BUILT PERIOD

Comment

Originally posted by 93 Krawler View Post
              I think some states allow it. I've read on the rzr forums that people have done this. It depends on the state, and county. Some people have found loopholes that allow them to drive on the road. The most consistent thing I read was not going over 25 mph.
              Here in ohio unless you have a farm use permit it is not legal to street drive even under 25mph. People seem to think so though and maybe the cops wouldn't bother you with a slow moving sign but not worth the risk to me.

I did forget dot tires! Toss some 12" passanger car tires on or 14" based on rim and go

sent on tapatalk
              www.offroadohio.com

Comment

I see some very strange things on the road these days, you can build a custom anything and legally drive it on the road and even a highway, however.... there is a process that you have to go through, alot of it has to do with safety equipment, engine size, overall dimensions, and what to classify the vehicle as, State highway patrol can point you in the right direction on the process. On that note I did actually see what i believed to be a Razor driving Northbound on Colerain Ave about a month ago, I did turn my head to make sure that that is what I seen.... at that point I said well that's cool.... other law enforcement do not always share the same Attitude.
                No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

Here in Ohio you can have the title converted I it has to do is pass the safety inspection. Quick call to inspection station will answer all questions.

I had this and a chevette on 35s inspected and made legal.

To pass the fiero buggy needed bumpers added. He told me to make easily removable bumpers so I could toss them when I got home.

I've asked the guy about making side by sides legal and getting my offroad mower an ohv title to tag it for state owned trails

sent on tapatalk
                  www.offroadohio.com

Comment

A jeep head lights do not show the "extreme" width nor do rail buggies. Safety in ohio as said is up to the officer.

Ask them to show the law where a tire or wheel must be dot approved. It doesn't exist. But for an inspection I'd imagine they'd require it. Though they've never checked anything but tread depth on me.

sent on tapatalk
                    www.offroadohio.com

Comment

Haul it to the new concord station hell pass ya..

sent on tapatalk
                      www.offroadohio.com

Comment

Crappy pic but here is the street legal sprint car (note the license plate on the front).

Really didn't do a whole lot to the body and chassis. Suspension modified for neutral steering and handling. 4.3L GM V-6, Powerglide, truck 10-bolt rear axle. I will probably see him later this week and will ask some more questions but I don't remember saying he had to jump through any hoops to get it licensed, though I believe insurance might have been an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by offroadohio View Post

I had this and a chevette on 35s inspected and made legal.
                          I wanna see this chevette on 35s. the fiero is cool.
                          Project ZJ (Zombie Jeep)- 1995 Jeep ZJ undergoing axle swap, 4-link, and becoming a firewall buggy.

Comment

Originally posted by Waffle
                            Man seing that sprint car makes me think about cruisin around in my buggy. Hell yeah! Turn off yur cell phones cause u wont hear sh... anyway lol. Insurance yeah thats gona be a big problem. They dont like self built anything.
                            110 HP for a RZR 1000....that's for Grandmas. This thing is probably around 190 HP and weighs about the same. It's quick.

He originally planned to install a 350 V-8 but couldn't get it to fit without major modifications to the chassis.

Comment

Originally posted by Waffle
                              Those street legal sand rails that everyone sees fall under the home built rules btw.
                              I always assumed they retained the VIN from the VW they were based on. Seems like it would be a lot easier...
                              DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                              Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Working...
                              X