New guy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy!

What's up guys/gals. I just picked up a 2007 4Runner SR5 a few weeks ago and thought I'd introduce myself. I'll be looking to do a mild trail build next year if all works out. I'm friends with Eike and some of the other NKU Baja SAE guys if you're familiar with them.

Some pics of the rig:

Last edited by Yson05Sr5; 10-05-2015, 01:47 PM.

If your up too it and have a total disregard for body damage there will be a few of us going to Harlan this weekend.

That ride sure looks nice.

Keep us posted on the build, we like info and pics
    No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

I probably wouldn't mind a ride along, but the 4 Runner will have to stay behind :(

Comment

Welcome!!
        That looks too nice to be wheeling it. Use it to tow a beater and wheel that.

Comment

That looks insane... Someday I'll build something ridiculous. I've built a few other cars over the years, but a trail rig is still on my list.

Realistically, I'll be going for something along these lines...

Minus the RTT. I'm 6'7" and yeah, screw that.

I have lots of reading to do...

Comment

Don't know if he has a build thread on here, but check out user No Mods 05 Tacoma. It is proof you can build a good looking newer gen toyota that is both capable and good looking for the street.
            beat up rusted out k5

Comment

For a mild build, I'm wondering what to focus on first for mods... Wheeling in stock form isn't a bad idea so I can determine what the weaknesses are in the suspension. That leaves armor and tires.

I'm planning on swapping the running boards out for rock sliders and installing some aluminum RCI skid plates. K02's will be the ideal tire for reducing road noise as a daily and occasional weekend trail rig. I need to research how big I can go without needing a lift, I think 33's will fit with liners removed.

The question is, what single mod would pay the most dividends on the trail?

Comment

I would put a locker in the rear first if it doesn't have 1 already.
                No need for a Winch...You just have to make it !!

Comment

It has ATRAC which is a pseudo-locking differential system. It uses ABS sensors to brake wheels that are slipping to send power where there's grip. Rear locker sounds fun, but I'm skeptical as to how much better it would be...

You probably know all of this already...
                  Last edited by Yson05Sr5; 10-07-2015, 09:25 PM.

Comment

You could certainly try it. And by the looks, you won't be doing anything too crazy for a while anyway.

But I'd have to think you'll eventually want a real locker.

And welcome! (Tell Eike I said hi...)
                    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
                    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Number one top priority is tow points front and rear! Nothing worse then crawling around underneath a rig buried in the mud trying to find a place to hook a strap to. I can't tell for sure but don't see any obvious hooks on the front. For the back I see a receiver hitch so you can buy a clevis mount. I do not recommend using a towing ball because straps slip off of them and they hang out too far. In any case having something that you can get too easily is a must. Even if you have tow hooks they are a pain if you have to crawl up behind the bumper to get to them.

For pure capability purposes tires would be the most beneficial, both a more aggressive tread pattern and larger size. For tread pattern I would recommend a mud terrain style if you are going to do any trails at all around here. You are not going to be doing any extreme rock crawling so that means you will be dealing with mud and/or loose dirt. BFG Mud-Terrains, Toyo MT's, etc... have good street manners while still doing okay off-road.

For tire size at least the biggest you can fit on the stock suspension, and would recommend doing at least minor trimming if that means another size bigger. However if you think you want a lift to accommodate larger tires anytime in the near future I would consider going ahead and doing it now. I've seen a lot of people go out and buy tires to fit the stock suspension and then 6 months later decide they want a lift and bigger tires.

Body armor is important, especially on a rig like that. If you want it to stay half-way decent looking go armor now. Once you dent up the rig and rip off the bumpers it's too late.

Comment

Good advice guys, and some long write ups! I appreciate it!

Since I'm splitting my mod money between this and my Subaru, I'll probably only get around to doing skids/sliders and either a lift OR tires. Next year the Subaru should be pretty much finished so the 4R will get some more attention. I can't wait to pull the trigger on a shrockworks bumper and winch, and some ARB goodies!

Comment

Oh yes. Mall crawler status revoked.

Comment

How do you like that V8? Mileage? I've been looking at these to replace my 06 Tacoma once it's sold.
                            Ian

06 Toyota 4Runner

Comment

I get 15.5 mixed city/hwy commuting, and 19 hwy. I love that the V8 can straight up boogie when necessary, and the service manager at my dealer always says how his guys are looking for 4th gens with the V8. He's probably just kissing my ass, but after ~110k it still feels, sounds, and drives like new.

Comment

Working...
                              X