It's Alive!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Alive!!!

Finally got my sloppy jalopy out of the garage, and I just HAD to show it off:

Ain't she sexy?

Robert
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Looking good Robert.
    I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

Thanks.

I've still got just a couple of bugs to work out, but I'm flat thrilled with how it turned out.

Robert

Comment

looking good brother...
        sigpic
        chris hodges
        96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
        71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

It's too bad its so shiny, Haspin will ruin that rolling in to the parking lot.
          Last edited by RuffedUpXJ; 06-21-2010, 11:27 AM.
          88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

x2

shininess soon to be wiped off it's face... like the smile of a crook that just got caught.

Nice job!

brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
            Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Well, after fighting the brakes for a few days, my shiny new engine got me all the way to work Thursday:

...but only halfway back home again:

Apparently that romp-stompin renix was just too much power for the rear ujoint:

Comment

Rotten Friday Recap:

So I caught a cab the rest of the way home, hooked up the truck and trailer in the dark to fetch the XJ. By then it was nearly 1am, so I didn't bother to unload it.

Bright and early Friday morning, I borrowed her Exploder to run to Smyth's for a new joint. When I got back, I decided not to push the damaged shaft any more, and just do the repairs with the jeep still on the trailer.

Unfortunately, once I pulled the shaft, I found that the ears were pretty banged up:

I wasn't sure if I should reuse it, so I went to install my spare shaft.

That's when I discovered that the spare driveshaft I've been carrying for two or three years was at least three or four inches short. Wish I could remember who sold that to me...

So I thought I'd just use the 4x to get the rig off the trailer, using the front axle. Of course, my old 231 refuses to engage unless I'm rolling about 2-3mph, so try as I might, that was another no-go.

Sooo... I pulled my front shaft to install it in the rear. Got it bolted back in and... (wait for it) the g@&d@##*& jeep wouldn't start.

Sooo... I traced it to a sticky starter relay. The starter relay, mind you, that I really WANTED to replace when I did the engine, but the partsdrone at Advance couldn't get me the right one. So I cleaned and reused mine.

I smacked it around some to free it up (and relieve some stress) and managed to fire it up and limp the thing back into the garage.

I dropped the trailer so i could get to work an hour early, for an oh-so-important safety meeting where they could inform us that hexavalent chromium is, in fact, bad for you.

Then an hour dismantling a nitric acid line, and six straight hours on an 8' ladder, in a 120* building, rebuilding a hot oil valve.

Some days it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Robert

Edit: (As a wise croc once said: "You geet bad job, you geet bad wife, you die. Beer you only friend.")
                Last edited by WrenchMonkey; 06-26-2010, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                  Edit: (As a wise croc once said: "You geet bad job, you geet bad wife, you die. Beer you only friend.")
                  Sounds like you have been talking to Peter over at Kings.
                  91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
                    Sounds like you have been talking to Peter over at Kings.
                    Nope, Pearls Before Swine last Friday...

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                      I've still got just a couple of bugs to work out...
                      It turned out to be more than a couple, like an entire month's worth, but I finally got it out to get a little dirt on the tires last weekend:

And my new wallpaper:

Robert

Comment

Great to hear your rig is running again. It looks good....Man ,you spent alot of time detailing the engine compartment.

Let's Wheel

Nick
                        Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
                        Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Thanks.

Honestly, I spent way too much time detailing: I missed a whole lot of wheeling!

Time to make up for lost time!

See ya Sunday!

Robert

Comment

- looks good,, i like
                            just don’t get stupid and stick a Chevy engine in your Jeep. Man I hate that

Comment

Working...
                            X