Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neon Seats (4 dr) swap into Samurai and lean forward Mod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neon Seats (4 dr) swap into Samurai and lean forward Mod.

Ok my seats in most of my sami's are crappy at best.. ripped up springs showing and all. So I head you could use some Neon Seats to replace them.
    I went to pullnpay and snagged up 2 sets one from a 98 and other from 02 ( black nice ones) Some say you can also use SRT4 seats but seem to cost alot more..

Well there are two ways to swap them using the neon rails and modify the sami floor to lower the seat. Cut the riser on the floor and then use a peice of angle iron and bolt it through the floor and drill new holes for the front mounts, also you might need to cut a spacer for the rear 1.25" high and use them under the sched 40 pipe works good for this so the bolt goes through it.

Ok now what I did, I swapped the Sami tracks over to the neon seats. When you take old neon tracks of you will need to use the triangle parts on the sami tracks.

Use a grinder to cut the welds and grind off the rivit heads and just pry it off with out bending it up too bad.

I took the triangle part off old neon tracks after cutting the two welds and grinding off the rivits.. Used a hammer and crow bar to pop them off trying not to bend the crap out of the triangle part...

I had to find a place to redrill triangle part the rear of the sami tracks making sure drill through metal seat bottom also.. I used 5/16 bolt and lock nut to hold all the parts of the triangle to the rail...

Now for the lean forward part..
    you need to take back off the seat bottom and use a grinder to remove the spacer between the two metal plates (take the bolt out too)

I actually carefully cut it twice really close to each piece of metal plate. Then I just popped out the spacer left on the out side plate. I then used a 9/16 drill bit and made the outter hole bigger.

You then will need to buy a M8 1.25 x 25 Phillips screw - you will one per seat for this. Picked them up at lowe's. The key is to have a low profile head.So the rachet metal plate misses the the head when you fold it forward.
    See how the bolt goes in threw the hole you drilled out. I replaced it with the Phillips screw cus I cut the bolt head off and could not use it anymore. Dope!

I also wanted to still used the plastic covering, So I had to just cut the back of it like this:

I really did not like the way it looks so I just cut the plastic flush to one side and just let you see the rachet part.

Also I had to put the back screw for the plastic back in and just screwed it in and used a grinder to cut off the screw so it would miss the ratchet but would still hold on the plastic.
    Only thing I had to with the sami tracks was that I did not use the cable that would make the seat move foward when you flip the seat up. So I used a zip tie to hold the metal peice that would hold the end of the ball of cable to the metal part that moves. and also removed the spring so it did not have tention on it.

Also when you want to lean the seat back up right .. Lift the handle, bring the seat back to where you want it and release the handle. Voila!

Seat in the Sami

Thanks,
    67fastback

-------------
    84 Honda cr60r - for sale
    87 Honda 200sx - for sale
    67 Mustang fastback - under restoration MCA #63430
    04 Silverado 2500 crew cab
    87 sami - "SPLAT"
    87 sami tin top - "Blue Fire"
    88 sami - "Squirt"

My New Video Channel -http://www.youtube.com/PhillbillyProduction

My Video Channel - http://www.youtube.com/justworkn

Nice work! Looks like the project was well thought out! The Chrysler parts will make it much better also!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
      Nice work! Looks like the project was well thought out! The Chrysler parts will make it much better also!
      he's got toyota parts where it counts...

sigpic
      chris hodges
      96 fzj80 3x locked, 4"lift, 37s, homebrew sliders and bumpers,a work in progress
      71 fj55, SOA, locked...The jungle bus... retired

Comment

Working...
      X