View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #15
underpowered
They call me......Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93 Krawler View Post
I'm thinking about loosing the full size rig, and going to something not as wide or heavy. It weighs in at 5300 lbs.

Either I do a whole new build, or use the doghouse from a S-10 extended cab, and switch cabs. That means I would have to completely redo my cage. I would use 1 3/4 .120 this time. I would link it front and rear. Relocate the radiator to the rear, then I could chop off the front and rear as much as possible for a good approach angle, and weight loss. Was even thinking about using the all aluminum 5.3, using an aluminum radiator, and ditching the steel cable in the winch to save more weight. I will still run the current axles/tires. The thing I'm not sure of is how much lighter will it be. Is the extended cab s-10 lighter than a full size regular cab, or heavier? Would using the frame from the s-10 instead of the full size frame be benificial? Does anyone have the cab measurements on a extended cab s-10? Any help would be appreciated.

Just throwing it out there, by the time in invest that much effort into redoing a rig, or building a whole new one basically i would think you would be time and money ahead to just go full tube chassis. You have the hard parts already by re-using you current drivetrain, just sub out the truck body and frame for a tube chassis.

I have given this some thought recently at well about my big behemoth of a K5. Looked into build it. links, more tube, hacking it up for better approach/departure angles and so forth and came to the above conclusion. The Only upside to the truck, is i have a title to the blazer and could keep it streetable.