Go Back   C.O.R.E. FORUM > Campfire > General Discussions
Gallery FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
tree_bashed_sammy
just a good ol boy

toyota

i have a toyota pick up im straight axleing puttin chromollys front and rear. It has a 327 motor 350 turbo transmission and toyota transfer case. I bought a transfer doubler kit the 4.70 transfer case gears 529 rearend gears and i plan to run 38 to 44 inch tires now im bein told that id be geared way to low so i was wondering your alls opinions and what u all think i should do and or what combo i should run? thanks for any opinions thanks David
tree_bashed_sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
Runoveru2
Adrenaline Junkie
- CORE Member -
- Moderator -

I'm running stock 4 cylinder with dual cases with 2.28 in each case with 5.29 gears running 39.5 tires and love my gearing, having a lower gear in 1 of the cases would be even better selection of gearing. With you having double the power I really can't see where you can go wrong with the gearing. Just my opinion...
Old 09-03-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
WrenchMonkey
Mechanical Animal
- CORE Member -
- Moderator -

Assume on 40s, it won't see much if any street time?

If all you're doing is crawling, no street, no mud, then yeah, I think its hard to have too much gear...

Robert
Old 09-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
blazerbrad
- CORE Member -

Keep in mind that the 327 should have at least twice the torque of the stock 22R so you really can't compare the gearing of other Toyota rigs with the 4 banger. I've wheeled quite a bit with several Toyotas setup with various gears and such including one guy that had a stockish 350 that originally had the stock 'yota 5 speed and t-case with 4.10 gears and 34" tires. When he went to the 350 it made a world of difference in how the thing could crawl and lug as he doubled the torque output to the tires (about the same as the difference between high range and low range when you look at total torque output). He eventually swapped to a TH350, NP205 (less gearing than stock t-case), and 4.88 axle gears with 38's. It wasn't setup for hardcore rockcrawling but for typical midwest trailrides it had decent crawling ability.

I think the combination of the doubler with one case at 4.7 and the 5.29 axle gears gives you a low-low range that is not really practical/needed for anything considering you have a V-8 and auto. That puts you over 140:1 not even taking into account the torque converter multiplication (there is some debate over this but it should at least double the gearing at certain times, so that puts you at almost 300:1 effective gearing).

Assuming you are keeping the Toyota axles, so good luck keeping them together with the V-8, 44" tires, and ultra-low gearing.
blazerbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
WrenchMonkey
Mechanical Animal
- CORE Member -
- Moderator -

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerbrad View Post
Assuming you are keeping the Toyota axles, so good luck keeping them together with the V-8, 44" tires, and ultra-low gearing.
Good point. I was just thinking about drivability, but you'll have to consider longevity too..
Old 09-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
tree_bashed_sammy
just a good ol boy

when i bought this stuff i had a truck with 4 cylinder and all stock and my plans was to fix it up but i had the one with the v8 and the frame broke on it so i decided to it since im 4 linking the rear so was just wondering peoples opinions on what direction to go. im thinking maybe the 4.7 with single case and stock 410 gears and see how that works for me
tree_bashed_sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #7
blazerbrad
- CORE Member -

That should give you a pretty decent crawling ratio and also be able to hit 2nd gear in the trans if you need more wheel speed. In my opinion spending money on the t-case gears is the right place for something you are mainly concerned with off-performance on as they make a much bigger difference than axle gears. 4.10's aren't the optimal pavement gears for that size tires but they will get you by.
blazerbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
twiztedzuki

you will blow them yota cases apart if you have a heavy foot, and 5.29s pushing it with v8 also
Old 09-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #9
mckeddie

Your going to break all kinds of stuff w those tires and motor through Toyota stuff.