Go Back   C.O.R.E. FORUM > Campfire > General Discussions
Gallery FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #26
fordman00

I believe that for the money and the price you pay fords are the best from interior, exterior and motor and drivetrain.If you find one thats been taken care of there nice but if you get someone who has put a bunch of stuff on it and doesn't know what there doing its going to have problems, but thats for any diesel truck really. Make sure whatever you buy that if there are performance upgrades on the truck that their not just slapped on there and dont have the other weak links fixed.Like on the cummins a buddy had a brand new 06' 4x4 4 door auto, 16,000 MILES! and he put a bully dog triple threat or something close to it and the trans had issues two months later. Not pulling anything and kept on perfomance mode mostly.Now he has a 6 thousand dollar transmisson a rear end to back it up along with transfercase, driveshaft, and other mods under the hood. He got smart and built the other weak links after having that problem. but in the end its up to you and what you want and like whether its ford, dodge, or a gm product. good luck deciding! let us know what you decide!!
fordman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:09 AM   #27
buckeyezuk
wheeler

Diesel

dodge or chevy is my vote. anything newer than the 7.3 in the fords have serious reliability and power issues. if you like manual shift and dont mind spendin a couple grand on a clutch, buy a dodge. if you want a automatic buy a duramax..my opinion..i have a duramax and like it..
Old 01-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #28
WrenchMonkey
Mechanical Animal
- CORE Member -
- Moderator -

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyezuk View Post
anything newer than the 7.3 in the fords have serious reliability and power issues...
Well, he did say he was looking 2000-05...

Robert
Old 01-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #29
fordman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyezuk View Post
dodge or chevy is my vote. anything newer than the 7.3 in the fords have serious reliability and power issues. if you like manual shift and dont mind spendin a couple grand on a clutch, buy a dodge. if you want a automatic buy a duramax..my opinion..i have a duramax and like it..
I will agree there about the years after the 7.3 but some of the 6.0's are not bad motors like i said my uncle has a 04' PSD 6.0 and it is a tank,i love driving it its power everything, leather seats, automatic sliding rear window, four door and very spacious. I plow with it and pull trailers with it no problems yet and it has 80XXX +.
fordman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #30
DEZROCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbeater View Post
Mike, watch the gear ratio, big difference.
My 02 cummins 5 speed gets 15/16 highway. 11/12 towing with the slide in camper, trailer and buggie.
whats a good gear ratio? do they like low gears or high gears?
Old 01-11-2010, 04:09 PM   #31
94Dodge Truggy
EX-Vice President

Send a message via MSN to 94Dodge Truggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEZROCKS View Post
whats a good gear ratio? do they like low gears or high gears?
Depends on what you plan on towing, tire size, power adders, dodge, chevy, ford etc...

Need to decide on that first.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #32
hotrod
Diesel guy

mine has 4.10s wish they were like a 3.73 i turn about 2500 @ 70mph but it would pull down a house given the oppertunity
Old 01-13-2010, 10:33 AM   #33
Rubi06

Send a message via AIM to Rubi06
I've got an 05 5.9 cummins 2500 4x4 quadcab and I get between 15-20 overall during summer depending on what the programmer is set at and how much i'm playing around. Without the programmer it's on the higher end of that most of the time. Winter it goes down towards the lower end all the time. I have a programmer, s&b intake, and 5" turbo back exhaust and 3.73 rear. I did have my trans rebuilt at around 78000mi but that was due to my programmer. I had no problems with it before then even towing.

Now my girlfriend has a 08 F350 4x4 long bed crew cab and it gets between 10-14 mpg. All the emissions stuff they have put on it has really killed the mileage. As for the interior it is very nice. Being a King Ranch it has saddle leather seats and just about every option available. Not done any towning with it yet but I really want to try out the built in brake controller so I'm used to it when I start using the gooseneck.

I've never been around in a dmax except the van ambulances we have at work and they aren't any more reliable than the fords. But i've never had a chevy truck or been around in a dmax truck so I don't have an opinion about those. I love my dodge and the luxury of my girlfriends ford. Only complaint with the Ford is mileage due to emission stuff.
Rubi06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #34
94Dodge Truggy
EX-Vice President

Send a message via MSN to 94Dodge Truggy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod View Post
mine has 4.10s wish they were like a 3.73 i turn about 2500 @ 70mph but it would pull down a house given the oppertunity
put a taller tire on it and lower the rpm's.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:41 PM   #35
adamkn

I've got a 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, with auto transmission. Tire size has a huge impact on mileage. I have 285/75R17 (33.8") tires, and typically get around 17 mpg. I can get over 20 on the highway.

My truck has the 48RE auto transmission - I think that was used for model years 2003 to 2005. If you do some research on it (Dodge truck forums, etc), you'll find that reliability has been excellent, as least with stock engines.

I've got 56k on my truck - and zero problems so far.